More road kill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mike68

Mar 2, 2007
oxon
On the way into work this morning at 0630 I came across two Roe deer which had been killed during the night, (they were not there when I went home yesterday!).
They were about 3/4 mile apart.
The first was too badly damaged to obtain any usable meat from, The second was a lage buck, which on initial examination looked as though it had died as a result of head chest trauma. However it was rigored and the abdomen was bloated with gas so I left it.
I was thinking as I drove along, that the back legs were intact and obviously away from the stomach so would they have been ok to remove to eat?
Seems such a waste.
The last deer I found was at xmas and needed to be dispatched, it did provide meals for four friends though.
Yours Mike.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I wouldn't like to say, although I doubt it will go to waste. There are those animals out there that will feast on that body quite happily. I saw a time lapse the other day of a fox being devoured by maggots. It was quite horrible but amazing at the same time!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm no expert on deer kills,but any road kills found used to be butchered for my Father in laws greyhounds.

Come to think of it i've forgotten why most things should be bled and gutted as soon as...

Anyone?

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
There are all sorts of legalities about taking roadkill full stop but putting those aside and assuming you have a legal right to the carcass, unless you have actually witnessed the demise of the animal in question and can carry out a full and comprehensive study of the internal organs you should leave well alone. Deer hit by cars are not always in the wrong place at the wrong time and may already be sick, impairing their reactions and orientation. Decomposition commences soon after death following the shutting down of the immune system when the nice damp and warm environment offers an open invitation for bacteria. Larger animals such as deer (that will retain heat for longer) need to be gralloched as soon as possible and rapidly cooled to limit the effect.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
If you have not witnessed the actual death of the animal you are wishing to recover it is always better to leave well alone, as animals such as deer which are not killed outright by road collisions are sometimes administered a lethal injection of dioxin posion by a vet to despatch them humanely, and then left at the road side for later collection. One fella very nearly died a few years ago after eating venison from a deer dispatched in this manner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE