More Range Time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Today, I took my most accurate rifle to the range to compare two .223 caliber handloads. One load was a 55 grain Hornady V-Max bullet pushed by 20.5 grains of IMR 3031 powder for an average of 2589 fps. The second load was a 55 grain Hornady FMJ-BT pushed by 20.8 grains of H335 powder for an average of 2598 fps.

My rig is a Savage 10FLP and is all factory except the foam Butler Creek cheek piece. The scope is a Nikon Tactical 2.5-10X with mil-dot reticle.
DSCN1678.jpg

A closer look.
DSCN1685.jpg

The two different rounds. The 55 gr. V-Max on the left and the 55 gr. FMJ-BT on the right.
DSCN1695.jpg

After initial windage and elevation adjustments, here are two five round groups shot from 100 yards. The target on the left is the 55 gr. V-Max round and the target on the right is the 55 gr. FMJ-BT.
DSCN1691.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Gordy

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
The rifle likes the V-Max load between the two. Next, I'll have to load both bullets with the same powder to get a further "apples to apples" comparison.

Gordy

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Good grouping. I've never reloaded for a rifle, but did my own pistol rounds(38,357,9mm,44spl/mag, & 45) before handguns were banned overhere. I used to enjoy the reloading almost as much as the shooting.
Is the rifle left handed ?.

Rob

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was betting to myself the V-max would group better :) Its a great head.

Do you vary primers as well? I've noticed they do make a difference - particularly BR vs small rifle.

Red

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
but did my own pistol rounds(38,357,9mm,44spl/mag, & 45)... I used to enjoy the reloading almost as much as the shooting. Is the rifle left handed ?

Rob, I find reloading very enjoyable and the shooting is relaxing, except the matches. :D I reload for the 9mm and .45 ACP, as well. Yes, the rifle is left handed.

Do you vary primers as well? I've noticed they do make a difference - particularly BR vs small rifle.

I am with you on that Red. We recently went through a two year dry spell (purchasing run) on reloading components and primers were hard to get. Things are getting somewhat back to normal and I have some Rem 7 1/2 BR and CCI BR4 on hand. Both of the loads I tested yesterday just had WIN WSR primers.

Backwoodsman - Finding the sweet spot is the joy of the whole reloading / shooting process. :D Keep tweaking the load. :D

Gordy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE