Fox Calling In The Snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
With regards to your calls do you try anything else? I seem to have a great deal of luck doing my best impression of a lamb call and my best imitation 'gobble gobble' turkey call has called more than a few in.

Still nothing compared to a foxing in Australia Dvd i used to have where the fella squeeled a fox in then shouted "OI" to make it stand ^^

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
With regards to your calls do you try anything else? I seem to have a great deal of luck doing my best impression of a lamb call and my best imitation 'gobble gobble' turkey call has called more than a few in.

Still nothing compared to a foxing in Australia Dvd i used to have where the fella squeeled a fox in then shouted "OI" to make it stand ^^

For years I stuck with attempts to sound as much like a wounded hare or screaming rabbit as I could and on the basis this is what a fox is most likely to have heard and therefore associate with. In reality though they are probably genetically engineered to respond to anything that sounds like either fur or feather in a pile of the brown stuff! This demonstrated by the "Zepps" call I referred to and that is also marketed, in only a slightly different format, as a raccoon squaller. Not a sound I've heard in living memory in a UK wood!

I'm willing though to try anything and particularly some of the bird distress calls such as that marketed in the US as a "wounded woodpecker". Equally important as the volume and type of sound is the use of silence. For instance if I arrive at an ambush point before first light and having not encountered a fox on route; stalking holds as much interest for me as calling them, then I might spend an hour sitting quietly and let any local fox take his regular walk home without distraction. There is plenty of sense to this as if your calling does gain the attention of a fox his first priority is to quite literally get wind of his breakfast. Which brings us to probably the most important aspect of calling that is how to choose your "stand". This requiring a small pamphlet to do justice but in brief it is not wise to simply apply deerstalking technique that is to put wind in your face. Oh no, Mr. Fox is far more cunning in his approach to how he wishes to ambush YOU than that!

Cheers

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I meant to comment on this ages ago but got diverted. Nice post K, and some great pictures too. Keep up the good work (both writing and foxing)
Rat

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I feel the stirrings of a further instalment in the air!

edmund-welf-sii-furbo.jpg

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE