More makin stuff...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Am in a serious mood for makin' stuff these days, good for me, bad for my marriage
rolleyes.gif
Latest project was a kind of follow on from my kettle sleeve project but to take my trusty trangia as well. I'm toting this about in one of the nylon gym bag thingys I got from Edinburgh Bicycle so time for some nice canvas. Here's the finished article;

P2210063.jpg

Had some serious drama with this which is one of the reasons why I did it, I wanted to see if I could make a canoe pack similar to the Lloyd, and 86inch creations on SotP and the Kerne and Topknot ones on BCUK. I had real trouble visualizing the thing when it was inside out, lot's of staring into space moving hands about in a virtual manner... First thing was to check out Mrs C's sewing machine capabilities. All in all handled 2 or 3 layers pretty much OK. I did have some real trouble with the thread though, I picked up some Size 100/16 needles and some 30m Gutermann Top Stitch Thread in a couple of colours but for some reason it kept snagging on the needle and backing up badly. Played with the tension until the cows came home but simply wasn't happening, am wondering if it was the bobbin tension or something??? SWMBO had me under strict instructions that I'd be in the garage if I wrecked her machine. So, 60metres of Gutermanns was used in the above, most of it was unpicked and binned though!

P2210065.jpg

Definitely a good learning exercise, deliberate mistake in leaving the black edge line on the wrong side.... The leatherwork was the easy bit for me although I figured out I was punching holes too big which led to the wonky rivet in the above pic, it could float about in the hole and when it was set, it floated off to one side.... grrr. Wanted to figure out how to do the tumplines and thatworked out great apart from my dodgey stitching. I'd reverted back to quite thin polyester thread at this point and normal needles and the machine coped a lot better.

P2210071.jpg

P2210072.jpg

Punched in a couple of eyelets and still haven't figure out quite what to do with them so there's some leather thonging in there at the moment but not happy with it....

P2210074.jpg

P2210075.jpg

It's a good size, my trangia and both meths and coleman fuel fit in with room to spare leaving enough room for utensils and probably even food for a day trip. Check the dodgy stitching on the right hand flap

P2210077.jpg

Lastly an empty shot

P2210079.jpg

So am I going to go ahead and make a big pack for myself, well maybe not just yet, the machine can't hack it and I can't hack the hand stitching, I had to do quite a bit on this project and my fairy soft hands are feeling it!! Handstitching the lid (seen in 2nd photo) was a killer alone, let alone the reinforcing stitches and round the corners where the machine couldn't go. I wonder if on a bigger scale the machine could go round the corners... hmm?? Overall quite pleased, machine can do the easy stuff and I can do the leatherwork required so all that's needed is maybe some different thread to try or a bigger machine....

Looking at this reminded me of the old surplus satchels that were kicking around when I was at school and rummaging around on ebay and various surplus stores came up with this which may lend themselves to a bit of hackery and additional leather work to make the look better... Bit bad hacking up and old '37 pack but just a thought! Nice pic from those nice people at endicotts, imagine it with some leather on.... hmmm

collectables_largepack1_37patt.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i tried modding a 37 ammo pouch, but the material they are made from is thick thick and my sewing machine couldnt hack it so i left it as is lol

thats a really nice pack, i love stuff like this. although i use an old singer hand cranker for my sewing though! its sews anything you stick under the foot you just have to whack it round harder lol!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have been busy :D
Neatly done too :approve: I like those.

Speak to me before you cough up any more money for Gutterman's thread though. We can get 5,000 m cops of the army stuff for under a fiver.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
oooops :sigh:

The variety comes and goes, the price changes up and down, but there's always some heavyweight stuff about.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I expect to be in the store next week, do you want me to pick up one suitable for sewing canvas ? OD or Fawn are both available just now.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
toddy who you talking to?

Alan :D Chainsaw that is.
Why do you want me to pick up another one ?

I've already got pms requesting me to buy some for other folks.
I think I might go and have a word with my thread supplier and see about a group buy.

Sorry to hijack your thread Chainsaw :eek:

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE