More fungi ID (Sorry!)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hi, I don't have much knowledge of fungi, I might be able to identify a bolete or hedgehog fungi but not much more than that. I saw this thing sitting in a hedgerow next to some lovely navelwort and I'm wondering whether it's edible.
Sorry for the quality, it was snapped on my phone which was all I had with me!

fjzr6u.jpg

25h53.jpg

oqi2ae.jpg

2rqj7yc.jpg

Thanks for any info :)

Asa.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hmm the ring screams Amanita or Agaricus, the colour and shape suggest perhaps the agaricus haemorrhoidarius? i could be WAY off on this,
did the ring come off easily? did they bruise or stain at all?
how big was the cap?
ta
pete

edit: my second guess would be Agaricus Bisporus which is also known as the cultivated mushroom

Last edited:

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Not certain, but I wouldn't eat it. Looks too much like the destroying angel with that ring around the stem and white gills. Apparently taste really nice, then you die after a few more days from renal failure. No antidote is available if it is this one!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hi, I didn't pick it as I didn't want to potentially get poisonous fungi on my fingers so I can't say about whether the ring came off or bruising but I can say for definite it had brown gills not white.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Brown gills? then most definitely agaricus type thankfully destroying angel sits in the Amanita variety.
i would be reasonably confident that this is the cultivated mushroom then, possibly horse but the colouration says cultivated.
in all honesty i wouldn't eat anything unless i could positively identify it from at least 3 sources including www.rogersmushrooms.com, that link you posted Keen-Edge is a cracker thanks! its going in the ident list!

ooh also Agaricus campestris or the Field mushroom is a possibility, especially if the gills are darker brown.

all edible i believe. also feel free to pick mushrooms up, you can wash your hands, its generally ingestion that leaves you without the function of liver and kidneys with some nasty varieties.

(as always please double double check i'm no expert just an enthusiastic amateur!)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well I picked it and took it back with me with another fungi that I spotted further along the hedgerow, there were quite a few of them but the one I took was the easiest to get to. The first fungi I was talking about has now opened up and has a lot flatter cap.

I'm uploading some pictures to photobucket at the moment so I will give you a link in a minute to the new pictures.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Transient ring makes it sound even more like an Agaricus the only Amanita with a transient ring (one that comes off easy) is false panther cap and they look nothing like that!

i'll have a mooch for the others tonight, they look intersting!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks for looking for me I will look around too and I'll be chuffed to bits if it's edible :D

What's the rule of thumb for cooking and eating fungi, do I peel the skin off of the cap and are there any parts I shouldn't eat?

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
Brown gills? then most definitely agaricus type thankfully destroying angel sits in the Amanita variety.
i would be reasonably confident that this is the cultivated mushroom then, possibly horse but the colouration says cultivated.
in all honesty i wouldn't eat anything unless i could positively identify it from at least 3 sources including www.rogersmushrooms.com, that link you posted Keen-Edge is a cracker thanks! its going in the ident list!

ooh also Agaricus campestris or the Field mushroom is a possibility, especially if the gills are darker brown.

all edible i believe. also feel free to pick mushrooms up, you can wash your hands, its generally ingestion that leaves you without the function of liver and kidneys with some nasty varieties.

(as always please double double check i'm no expert just an enthusiastic amateur!)
your welcome glad it was of some use ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE