more camping with kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Just got back from another campout with my family and my wife's best friend and her family. Our kids are close friends too, so they had a blast. We just spent two nights and three days out. My little one was soooo tired, she knocked out within a minute of lying down. My older one is still up. I think she is excited about opening presents tomorrow and that is probably keeping her awake.

What did we do...

We ate a lot, hiked a little, fished a little, relaxed under the stars, ate, looked at wildlife, ate, watched the kids ranging from 2 to 5 run around and have a great time not watching TV!

My wife had camera duty as her camera ran out of batteries and she comandeered mine. So no pictures of food or fire or guy toys.

Here are some pictures:

Some nice scenery.

My oldest, the fisherman, er girl.

My baby girl, pondering life, or at least what will be the next thing she gets to eat. Growing kids are voracious!

My highlights besides just being out with the family were (and you might find these strange):

I followed a pig down a game trail and stopped about 15 feet from it. It didn't notice me, but I back away and left when I noticed a little piglet with the mama. They weren't very big. The mama was maybe 75 - 100 pounds, but it had a baby. I backed out and found my friend's husband and we snuck back and saw that they were still there. Then we left. Sorry, no pictures. But I did recognize the mama pig as the same one that ran past our camp several times the night before. My wife best friend and I were enjoying the evening playing her favorite game after all the kids and spouses were asleep, when the pig trotted by behind her. It was a good 10-15 feet behind her and it wasn't agressive, just passing through. Man, she jumped. She jumped pretty high. I just laughed. After maybe about the third time that happened, it trotted by again and snorted. She almost jump on me. She ended up kind of hiding behind me. I couldn't get her out of her tent the next night. My wife and I had a good chuckle about that.

The second highlight for me was how cold it seemed to have gotten last night. I didn't feel very cold, but I noticed that my nose felt cold when I touched it and the amount of breath fog was more than I have ever seen in Hawaii, including the summit of Haleakala. There was just so much, it was pretty cool. I was showing my wife that my wet hand would steam up too. All in all, pretty cool to me (warm weather guy).

Merry Christmas everyone! Aloha!

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great post Hanzo - love reading you stuff and especially seeing the pictures - its like a little virtual holiday!

Have some rep for Christmas

Red

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Great post, and great location! (where is the envy emoticon???? :) )

Isnt it amazing how easy it is to get them to forget the TV? I like to take my 3.5 yr old out as often as I can to make fires, he loves it.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
Simon E said:
Great post, and great location! (where is the envy emoticon???? :) )

Isnt it amazing how easy it is to get them to forget the TV? I like to take my 3.5 yr old out as often as I can to make fires, he loves it.

Yeah, kids of all ages love to play with fire!

Now that we are back home and the kids are on break from school, they want to make up for lost TV time. We have to work real hard to not let them. We try to get them to play outside for at least as long as they want to watch TV, to read as long as they want to watch TV (we are lucky our girls love to read), to do other stuff too. So when all is said and done, the TV really is in moderation, so it isn't too bad, plus we monitir and control what they watch.

The kids are going hiking tomorrow. I am going to try to finish my work early enough tomorrow morning to go with them.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
bilko said:
It looks and sound idilic mate.

It really is. You get to leave the baggage and stress behind. It is very nice and needed. It is funny that it is the moms that originally swore off camping that are continuing this and making it a monthly event. They had never camped before and now they really like it. You just gotta feed em well and give them breaks from the kids and they are all for it. I guess that works when not camping too. :p Plus no housework.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
Dubbs OTT said:
Thanks for that, its quite inspirational, I like to maximise any time I get with my Children too and theres nothing like the outdoors for that, merry Christmas everyone. Really enjoyed this thread.

Aloha Dubbs,

I appreciate your comments. I have been called many things :rolleyes: but neither I nor the things I have done are usually called "inspirational." Glad you enjoyed.

Time with kids is always good, even when they are not being good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE