Moras

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deepforest2501

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2007
Northern Ireland
I'm looking for a "fairly" robust Mora, must be carbon steel, ideally full(ish) tang. Triflex was 1st thought, youtube vids claim they're full tang but several x-ray images online say its just like the clipper, short length tang. Can anyone confirm their tang length please?

Any other Moras?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Theres a lot of BS talked about this sort of stuff but it is unlikely that a plastic handled knife like that has a tang the length of the handle as its not necessary. Unless you pland to use it as a prybar and not a knife it will be fine.

Maybe should buy a small prybar too just in case.

whiskersnitch

Oct 12, 2011
Upstate NY (not NYC), USA
Yeah, I can't really get into the whole full tang vs stick tang vs tang length debate anymore, because I've just decided to use a knife as a knife instead of a multi-tool.

I've really abused Clippers and I have yet to have one fail beyond edge rolling/chipping...I did have a 511 crack the handle, but that was me being an idiot and using it as a shim/pry. Finally, I asked myself "why am I abusing my knives?"

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Have a look at some of the destruction tests on these knives on YouTube, after seeing the abuse they can take I just stopes worrying about the tang. One of the tests includes battening fist size chunks off a concrete paving slab!

Cheers

Mat

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
the tang length shouldn't worry you, moras are basically indestructable and the destruction tests on youtube just seem a bit silly to me, the knives are being taken away from their intended purpose (cutting) and the users are simply trying to break them. You really can't go wrong with a Carbon or stainless mora, I have both and they have taken all abuse I have thrown at them, very hard battening and stuff like that, both my clipper and my Mora Bushcraft Force (same build as the triflex by the way) perform fantastically. If I were you I would get the triflex, great edge retention, comfy handle and solid as a rock. Up to you at the end of the day though.
Hope this helps

outdoorpaddy

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
thin cuts, thick is robust. moras are thin, they cut well, obviously they cannot also be as robust as a 4,5, or 6 mm thick knife. i have seen scouts break a mora knife without abusing it.

there are mora knives like the quicksnap which are slightly thicker, 2.5mm. clippers et al are only 2mm thick. the hultafors are also 2.5mm thick, and designed to be hit on the handle. the 3mm grovkniv is a bit of a minger with a big secondary bevel. it can be ok if you give it a good convexing.

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Hultafors/c-1-92-913/ these prices, delivery included? bargain!

cheers, and.

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
A good robust Mora is the #2 with original red painted, wooden handle. Carbon steel, 2.5mm thick across the spine as opposed to the 2mm of the Clipper and although not a full tang, 'tis fairly long. My favourite of the Moras and I've used mine fairly hard.

Hope it helps.

deepforest2501

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2007
Northern Ireland
cheers everybody for the advice. Yep I agree the youtube mora destruction thing is gone crazy. Can I just ask one more question, I have a clipper from an old woodsmoke course, we filed the back of it for firesteel use. Are there any triflex owners out there who can tell me if I can file the back of that blade for good firesteel use. There is seemingly an issue there as the back of that blade is not very rough. At least Im not asking for x-rays anyway. The classics look great Im just afraid I'll lose a few fingers using them.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I used to seriously abuse Mora 510's on commercial fishing boats. They were considered disposable. I broke the tip off one once, never saw any serious handle damage or evidence of a loose tang. I don't think you need to worry about how durable these tools are.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I know exactly what you mean about filing the spine, my mora force is actually rounded off on the back which made it difficult but it is possible to square it off for use with a firesteel, just needs some patience and a good file lol.
cheers

outdoorpaddy

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
I went to the local ice skating rink for that, they have a skate sharpening service in the shop. It took some explaining though - at first they thought I wanted them to convert my Mora 780 triflex into a dagger!

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've got a Triflex, and the back of the blade is squared off and not rounded like the Force. It is not however at all rough. I can get a spark with a firesteel off mine, but it is no where near as good as the ones produced by the striker.
I dare say a small diamond sharpening file could easily roughen the edge of the back to make it strike better...

cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE