Mora training knife from ray mears. How sharp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
And also the application is a bit different as we do have a lot of knife-buffs on this forum (i'm one of them :). A well crafted blade, handle and sheathe is a work of art and something to be appreciated in it's own. A Mora is a work-knife, made to be 100% functional and not really "pretty".

Of course, you can go to the woods with both type of blade, but IF the accident is there and you loose your knife, the Mora is a whole lot easier to let go of :)

In the end, the Mora is a tool, your lovely handforged blade with the deerantler handle, filled with small carvings and the reindeer sheathe is a tool AND a work of art.

I keep my blades & swords at home and bring my Mora to the forest :p

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've had a couple of the Mora's, one will spark a firesteel very nicely, the othe will barely cast a spark, regardless of how I file it. I can only assume the back of that particular blade is a little bit softer.
Otherwise yes, they are fine knives for the money. (Still love my Woodlore though!)

Dave

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
like martidave ,ive got two moras-its baffling that one cant get a decent spark ,the other ,newer one is fine.my new normark(thanks rapid boy ) gets an excellent spark.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
half a broken hacksaw blade tied to the firesteel works great and no need to worry about what kind of knife you are using :)

Tant

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
OldJimbo said:
A big issue with Moras is that a person might have the laminated steel variety. Those have soft steel sides and so won't spark a ferro rod very well. The rest will - as well as any knife, if you set them up right.

true but this is about one knife in perticular that isn't laminated.
Odd that most people say the F1 will strike well even though it's a laminate (mine doesn't though)

Ouch - my Fallknivens - all non-laminated, strike sparks easily. I'm glad I have the old ones!
With the Moras of Frost or Eriksson - I've only ever seen one knife with softer steel - and that was sold under the Normark label. If you are only able to file the spine with some difficulty, then it's hard enough and you just need to get sharp edges on the spine. If it files easily then you have a collector's item and we'd sure like to hear about it!
I've even differentially tempered Moras by putting the spine of a carbon one on a piece of red hot metal and watching colors. Even that one would strike sparks - it just rounded fast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE