Mora training knife from ray mears. How sharp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

pritch

Hello I just bought this knife and its on its way. Basically this may sound weird. I am wondering though. How easily could this knife chop through say a tomato? Or carv into wood?

Like normally with kitchen meat knives on a tomato they will squash it a bit before going through. So this is my sharpness test. How easy it goes through.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The two are quite diferent tasks...

With wood you push the knife through it as there's no give but the tomato will give a little and may be a little squished. You will be cutting stuff like that by pulling the knife (or pushing) as a sawing motion.

It's the same as pressing a knife into the palm of your hand, it'll do nothing until you pull or push it (this is a poor test though as it would involve stitches!).

The knife will be able to do both easily though... they're very good. Just remember that although it may look sharp out of the box, it will need to be properly sharpened to be effective.

Joe

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
You can push cut tomatoes if they are firm. The Mora isn't very controled whilst doing this though when I was doing it the other day (I couldn't find my itchen knife and was making lunch).

Moine

Forager
The name Ray Mears has given to those neat little blades is annoying me a little. They're not mere "training knives"... Those are serious blades, strong enough to whitstand life long use and abuse. Their real names are #780 clippers, from Frost's, in Mora, Sweden. When I contacted Frost's to check if I could buy from them for my survival school, those knives were the ones they put forward as "tough enough". And they are.

As for sharpness, they are great cutters, especially good at woodworking, and meat cutting. Slicing hard things (like carrots for example) is not what they excel at. The blades are a little too thick and the scandi grind is not the best in slicing. But hey, if you want a slicer get yourself a paring knife ;)

They are great skinners, even though they lack a little belly for that matter. The grip is secure, even when soaked wet, or covered with blood and fat. The sheaths, even though they look cheap, are surprisingly tough (except for the belt loop part, which I don't use since I carry them handle down around my neck).

Edge retention is very good, and they DO get scary sharp when sharpened properly. I have shaved in the field with mine more than once.

Anything more than those knives for a general use field blade is purely esthetical (and commercial). For function alone, they stand their ground against ANY high end scandi blade I have tested.

Cheers,

David

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Squidders said:
The two are quite diferent tasks...

It's the same as pressing a knife into the palm of your hand, it'll do nothing until you pull or push it (this is a poor test though as it would involve stitches!).

Joe

Not recommended with a convex ground blade :eek:

P

pritch

Well some great advice there thanks :) btw I think Ray mears calls them training knifes, simply because it's the knife issued on "his" training course.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I would also call it an ideal training knife because if you kill it or lose, replacing it will only cost a few quid.

Who would want to train with a £200 custom knife? one failed attempt to sharpen it and oops - There goes £50! :eek:

Moine

Forager
pritch said:
Well some great advice there thanks :) btw I think Ray mears calls them training knifes, simply because it's the knife issued on "his" training course.
I'm sure that Mr. Mears has good intentions... I just wanted to highlight the fact that the "training knife" label could mislead some people to think that those blades are nothing more than cheap beginners knives... and I think they're worth much more than that.

Cheers ;)

David

Moine

Forager
Squidders said:
I would also call it an ideal training knife because if you kill it or lose, replacing it will only cost a few quid.

Who would want to train with a £200 custom knife? one failed attempt to sharpen it and oops - There goes £50! :eek:
I personally wouldn't want to do ANYTHING with a 200 quids blade ;)

... especially not when a 10 bucks one will do the job just as well ! :D

But hey, I'm just a cheap, poor savage...

Cheers ;)

David

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Moine said:
I personally wouldn't want to do ANYTHING with a 200 quids blade ;)

... especially not when a 10 bucks one will do the job just as well ! :D

But hey, I'm just a cheap, poor savage...

Cheers ;)

David

Pah! you can't stare all doe eyed at a 10 quid knife the way you can with a custom one made the way you wanted it.

savage indeed ;)

P

pritch

Oh does anyone know a good method of sharpening these? Preferably cheap. I think the stones on ray mears were quite a price.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
About that weak belt loop. I've ordered one, and expect to be wearing it on my belt.

Any good ways I could strengthen the belt loop?

The belt clips work Ok - but I prefer to have knife sheaths in front so I clip it on my shirt. You can cut off the clip and put the plastic sheath inside a simple leather sheath that's quickly made.
moraneck.gif

And here's the plans:
sheath

P

pritch

Hmm So ive got this knife. Its vool and chops rather nicely :) Just one thing though. It says on the site the knife may require some filing to make it suitable for striking on your fire steel. God they werent joking. Ive rubbed the back of the knife gainst a stone and with a file but I still cant seem to get a good shower of sparks off it compared to using the small piece of metal that comes with it.

Anyone god any info on this?

I usually grind mine on a belt grinder to make them look better, and then they'll work OK with a ferro rod. Normally though I prefer to use a short piece of high speed (M2 steel) hacksaw blade. I use a piece a few inches long and leave the teeth on for small jobs - but use the back for striking.
Normally I'll just use my Mora for scraping axe handles, but if a person has access to a belt grinder and puts a chisel grind on the back of a piece of HSS hacksaw blade - it makes for a fantastic scraper when held in a split stick.

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I think a Frost's Mora is just perfect for an outdoors knife: they can be made as sharp as you like, are economically priced and very robust. They may not be glamorous but hey, I stare doe-eyed at mine :)

Lots of happiness for little money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE