MORA Knife ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GreyDog

Mar 24, 2021
Holmfirth
I don't think it's worth it. The built in steel is quite small. The sharpener on the sheath is (IMHO) too small. Plus, it's cheaper to buy a decent sized steel (you probably have one already). Could epoxy a more useful stone to the back of the sheath or better still carry a small one like a DC3.

Reactions: Reallybigmonkey1

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I haven't used my Old Mora's for age's and then on the weekend I took out my Companion heavy duty and I was Shocked at how Good it was, So I watched a load of vids and read reviews.
And yeah I thought that the Bushcraft Black was a Better choice.
Cheers

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What's about the Garberg?

I think the stainless with leather sheath is the best model they offer. For my use far better than my old Fjällkniven F1.

But the Garberg plastic sheath doesn't convince, the ring of the belt loop sits relatively loose on the sheath. Like this I don't secure a survival knife. Probably it's the fishing and farming version.

Reactions: Reallybigmonkey1

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The Garberg belt loop is dead tight where it locks onto the sheath, you need to push it up fully until it clicks into place. They come as standard not locked on properly as they are difficult to remove once snapped on.

GreyDog

Mar 24, 2021
Holmfirth
Companion heavy duty has to be the best value knife out there - does everything well, love the handle thickness and grippy texture, plus my burnt orange one is a bit harder to lose. This image shows the tangs of various Mora's (Garberg, Kansbol, Bushcrafter, Companion HD, Basic (probs), Classic (probs), Eldris. Kansbol & Bushcrafter have near identical tangs. X-Ray of Mora Knife Tangs.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
For me the ring on the plastic sheath doesn't sit fix enough, that's all.

I don't want a sheath that can fall in pieces if it gets pressure upwards.

The plastic sheath is in my opinion no option if we mean the Garberg also as survival belt knife.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
The reality is the Mora Companion HD will pretty much do all we/a Schrafter ever needs, that’s the truth of it. I love a good Mora and I’ve a couple a three really nice knives.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
But a normal Mora Companion is relatively easy to break. If used carefully it probably will not break in decades, but I tested it, because everybody recommends them and I discovered that they break easily. I don't trust them more than an Opinel. And if I mean that I don't need a more robust knife I also can take the far lighter Opinel.

Reactions: CLEM

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
But a normal Mora Companion is relatively easy to break. If used carefully it probably will not break in decades, but I tested it, because everybody recommends them and I discovered that they break easily. I don't trust them more than an Opinel. And if I mean that I don't need a more robust knife I also can take the far lighter Opinel.
Ive got a 15 year old Companion. It's been through hell and back, buttoned with, pried with, loaned to non-knife types, hacked, chopped and even a bit of carving. It is still going strong.
I don't doubt they can be broken, but I've not managed it. Probably pounding it through a brick with a club hammer might, but why on earth would you?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I did put it between some boards and put pressure on the handle in the wrong direction and it broke immediatly at the point where the blade enters the handle.

Let's say you have to press with approximately the force that you sometimes need to pull out a lightweight tent stake.

That means it is no robust knife although it is a good all purpose knife and worth the money.

But I think the nearly identic heavy duty version is the better choice for our use.

But if one can afford it the stainless Garberg with leather sheath is the best choice anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreyDog and CLEM

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I've had a look at the Bushcraft Black and the Heavy Duty and is there a difference if so what? apart from price.
Big difference in blade shape and the feel in the hand. Cutting is the same, but there is just something about it that I prefer over a Garberg

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
With their typical blade thicknesses and tang shapes "normal" Moras are fairly bad at being sharpened prybars, one really should not try to use them as such. They perform quite well all the other functions of a knife. While bending is bad, torsion seems to be even worse so don't twist the knife in the wound. ;)

Their price is so low though that I consider them to be quite good choice.

Reactions: Erbswurst

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
As others have said. Adding a fire steel of good size is an easy do it yourself project. Som decent sheet plastic, riggers tape and a quick wrap of parador and you are set. Having a decent sharpening tool separate seems better to me.

Reactions: Ceannairc

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have a Mora HD. Had it for donkeys years. Really easy to touch up, cheap as chips, don't mind if I lost it (never have) and I've used it for all kinds of cutting, not just the Bush stuff. It's brilliant. I have batoned with it, but if I take it as my belt knife for an extended period I pair it with an axe.... if I didn't have an early SWC Woodlore knife (pre-collaboration) it honestly would be my one and only belt knife.

I carry a ferro rod, DC4 and mini steel separately. Having it all attached to the sheath, although handy, doesn't sit well with me. If you lose one you lose it all.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: GreyDog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE