mora frosts clipper for striking flint?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
while sharpening my mora frosts clipper, i noticed on the blade it says high carbon, has anyone tried these for striking flint, all my flint seems to ahve vanished so i didnt get the chance to try it, but i wonder if it would work?
cheers,
alex

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
probably.
But the sparks from flint and steel are moulton balls of steel.As they dont come from your flint, the source of the steel will be your knife!
An old file would be better than using your most important bit of kit.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
(GRUMBLE GRUMBLE) ETS forum readers who don't dig through my old posts :( The high carbon, high rockwell Moras are about the ONLY off the shelf knife you can spark with flints. Softer steels merely let the flint edge gouge into the seel. A hard steel will result in a carbon molecule(s) percussing into a spark. This is one reason I stash multiple moras in my kits in reserve ( along with being inexpensive and off the shelf sharp.) True, you will eventually pit the spine. But remember this is essentially duplicating a flintlock firearm and they fired hundreds of rounds along with messy blackpowder. You may want to dress the spine with a file to get a squared surface and some 'bite' for the flint to connect with. The laminated Frosts can be successfully used this way also after preparation. Now it's back toETS to moderate some argument over the ultimate survival knife :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ChrisKavanaugh said:
(GRUMBLE GRUMBLE) ETS forum readers who don't dig through my old posts :( The high carbon, high rockwell Moras are about the ONLY off the shelf knife you can spark with flints. Softer steels merely let the flint edge gouge into the seel. A hard steel will result in a carbon molecule(s) percussing into a spark. This is one reason I stash multiple moras in my kits in reserve ( along with being inexpensive and off the shelf sharp.) True, you will eventually pit the spine. But remember this is essentially duplicating a flintlock firearm and they fired hundreds of rounds along with messy blackpowder. You may want to dress the spine with a file to get a squared surface and some 'bite' for the flint to connect with. The laminated Frosts can be successfully used this way also after preparation. Now it's back toETS to moderate some argument over the ultimate survival knife :eek:

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the information.......good advice bears repetition ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Interestingly enough the supplied piece if biscuit tin that came with my firesteel was relatively useless at spark production so got filed. The Opinel however changed all that and gave a horde of sparks that danced towards the tinder, consuming it in a ravenous flame. Anyway, the biscuit tin is just more junk to cart around. Use the knife as you are already carrying it....?

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
I have an old Mora and this is high carbon and works ok with a flint although I have found there is a knack to it. Ignore the pictures in books and try to caste the spark down onto your char cloth.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Gotta agree with WB above, my new BFK will also caste a spark and the trick in use is to hold the blade spine side up resting the tip on a solid surface and then strike a glancing blow with the flint onto the side of the spine. Small orange sparks should then drop into the char.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE