Mora Clipper Rehandle Tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stoneraven

Dec 14, 2006
Canada
Soon after checking out the Bushcraft UK website and after all the good ideas and information I’ve seen on the site, I decided to purchase and rehandle a couple of Mora Clippers for my boys for Christmas. Here is the result. This mini tutorial is a bit of a thanks for all the ideas this site has shared with me

1. I bought a number of Mora clippers this one is stainless. Wrapped the blade up in tape to protect it and protect me (they are sharp!)
2. Ran a band saw down the handle and popped the handle off. Decided since this is my first attempt at rehandling I’d use the same handle design. Voila an instant template. Don’t forget to grind down the backs of the knife blade to get a nice ninety-degree edge for your fire steel. The way the Mora comes, it needs a little work.

4. Didn’t like the idea of rehandling without a pin in the hidden tang. Wrapped the blade and as much of the tang as possible with a sopping wet cloth and used a torch to anneal the metal in the tang to be able to drill it without ruining the temper of the blade. The result is below.

5. I fit two pieces of ebony for the bolsters. Marked and drilled them out. Used a fret saw to cut out the hole to fit the tang and then needle files to give her a nice fit. Used a couple pieces of scrap maple I had in the shop. Sanded the pieces on a disk sander, but a glass plate with sandpaper would do the trick. Sanded the ebony and Maple to fit nice and snug. Used a dremel to score the tang for the epoxy to hold on to.

6. Milled out the tang area using a drill press and milling cutter. A sharp knife would work but this gave me a nice fit.

8. Made a jig to glue up the handles. Threaded rod, washers, nuts and scrap wood. Notice the pin I used. (it was just a nail. Not a fancy mosaic pin. I think I’ll try that later. Since this is my first attempt). Used a long curing epoxy.

9. Measured the dimensions of the knife handle from the original Clipper handle. And cut. Watch out for the pin. Used a hacksaw there.

10. BE BOLD! Use a rasp and then sand to dimensions. It’s easy to get a fat handle. So go by the measurements, not by your eye. Use what ever handle dimensions you like.

11. Used Danish oil for a finish and then Carnuba wax on top to give a hard finish.

12. Finished knives.

13. Comparison of original and rehandled.

13. Next came the sheath making. I used the tutorials found in this website. I added the fire steels into the sheath design. I hot waxed the sheaths using beeswax and an old hairdryer. It worked great. The pic below shows how I’ve used shock cord to make sure there was a positive lock on the fire steel. Not sure how this will work with our Canadian winters but will find out. Shock cord is used most commonly on clothing and tent poles.

14. Here are the completed knives. Oh yeah, I like flintknapping too.

Comparison of original and rehandled Mora Clipper and sheaths.

My sons thought they were great. They had great fun collecting tinder and lighting fires etc.

Finally below is a little more experimentation with another smaller Mora. Whitetail deer antler end, ebony and moose antler spacers and boxwood middle portion. Now I have to make a sheath for it and my new F1.

THANKS FOR ALL THE IDEAS – Hope this helps someone.

Stoneraven

stoneraven

Dec 14, 2006
Canada
Sorry about the pics. I'm not sure how to post them. The gallery files are limited to 500Kb.

Can anyone tell me how to get all the photos on the tutorial? Will be happy to comply once I know how.

Stoneraven

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Either make them smaller, or use a different hosting site, like photobucket.com. Would like to see them! Am thinking of doing this myself.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Silk purses out of a pigs Ears.

(I am the ONLY bushcrafter in the whole world that hates those Moras.The blades are fine but those handles.......... :ban: )

Gailainne

Life Member
Lovely work

I must admit the only thing putting me off buying a mora clipper is that horrible sheath and even more horrible handle.

Thank you for giving me an incentive to (at least try) and improve a very good blade with a handle and sheath that complements it.

Sir nicely done :D

PS like everone else looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Gailainne said:
I must admit the only thing putting me off buying a mora clipper is that horrible sheath and even more horrible handle.

I managed to get my hands on one of the Moras with the older style wooden handle from ebay - they also have thicker blades and strike a firesteel better. Here is a link to one - not the guy i bought from but i think its the same model:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swedish-Mora-...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sadly it still comes with the 'functional' plastic sheath - made me give leatherworking a go!! :)

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
I am going to do a couple this weekend hopefully with some curly birch I have lying about. Great tutorial, I'll give you some rep when I figure out how.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE