mora classic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, It takes a bit of work to remove the ochre dye. I've started to dye mine brown

img1609n.jpg

Cheers Topknot.

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
get it man, you will not regret it. Works well with day to day task. Whenever I'm at my dad's I wear my Mora Q1 and have it on me all the time. works well with fire steels and everything else.. Though carbon steel needs looking after ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have one
and came razor sharp

To get the most out of your mora, the bevels usually need to be flattened. They typically come with striations along the length if the bevel that should be smoothed out flat. I take mine right down to the edge, eliminating the secondary bevel, replacing it with a very tiny convex microbevel. The three knives above all have tiny convex microbevels although they are difficult to see.

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
To get the most out of your mora, the bevels usually need to be flattened. They typically come with striations along the length if the bevel that should be smoothed out flat. I take mine right down to the edge, eliminating the secondary bevel, replacing it with a very tiny convex microbevel. The three knives above all have tiny convex microbevels although they are difficult to see.

Same with mine. Got rid of the striations and stropped the hell out of them

May i ask how would i go about doing that?

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Like that, aiming for something just like it, but the brass making a guard. Plus a thumb rest on the back of the handle.

What do you need to do to make them a good striker for a fire steel?

After I reshaped the top of the blade on the grinder, gently, I tried the firesteel on that part, brilliant, big sparks fly off the last couple of inches. ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
May i ask how would i go about doing that?

Well, you would start just like you would sharpen it. Lay the bevels on a flat grinding surface and sharpen away the striations. I like to use sandpaper mounted on a block of wood, usually backed with hard rubber, which helps the sandpaper to dig in. Any flat sharpening stone will work. Go from coarse to fine, until the bevel is smooth and has a mirror finish. To get a microbevel, you can raise the blade slightly on a very fine stone or sandpaper like Mors Kochanski does. That will help peel off the wire edge as well. Personally I use sandpaper mounted on a block of wood with a mousepad glued between the sandpaper and block. I will typically use 1500 and 2000 grit paper and polish the whole bevel, but the give in the mousepad will create a nice convex microbevel at the edge and peel off the wire edge.

In all cases, finish by stropping on leather charged with a polishing compound. I also use leather mounted on a mousepad for this. Keep the bevel flat and let the mousepad set the microbevel. Too much pressure, though, will round the edge.

The knife in the pic came brilliantly sharp but the edge crumbled the first time I put it to a hardwood dowel. I resharpened it and now it's a wood eater.

If you plan on doing a lot of batonning, I'd make the microbevel thicker until you find what works for you.

hoodoo_hones1b.jpg

As a final touch for a stubborn wire edge, I sometimes will hit the edge LIGHTLY with an unsewn buffing wheel charged with a polishing compound. Mine is mounted in a drill.

allen_goodman_sharpening_setup1b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That puukko is stunning Hoodoo.

I ordered one like it from Jukka a while back. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Sweet! You can't go wrong with one of Jukka's knives. He's pretty amazing, as is Pekka Tuominen. The dollar is not what it used to be over yonder so that holds me back from buying more of their knives. :(

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

Has anyone heard of the maker E. Jonsson? As far as I knew when I visited Mora a few years ago there were only two makers left there Frost and Erikson. The former bought out the latter a couple of years ago and have re branded as Mora of Sweden. Personally it would not surprise me if this £5 knife is a Chinese knock off though I would be happy to be proven otherwise.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
If it was made on the Moon, Robin, I'd still be very satisfied :) it holds an edge for.......? don't know, haven't had to sharpen it yet, still cuts as tho' going through butter. I have dearer knives but this is the one I use, the others? buried in the draw. ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Has anyone heard of the maker E. Jonsson? As far as I knew when I visited Mora a few years ago there were only two makers left there Frost and Erikson. The former bought out the latter a couple of years ago and have re branded as Mora of Sweden. Personally it would not surprise me if this £5 knife is a Chinese knock off though I would be happy to be proven otherwise.

I have an E. Jonsson. Picked it up over a decade ago from an army surplus store. It looks like the real deal to me but I can't say for sure.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I did have one made by a Mattson (or matson?). I gave it to a Finn friend of mine whose last name is Mattson. It was fairly old. IIRC, I bought it at a knife show.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania

Stating which, when I bought mine Mora Classic, next on the shelf were COPY's of Clippers. Some original clippers were there as well, but in one box, half the price, were clipper copys from China witch looked exactly the same: handle material, shape, length. The only difference was NO marking on blade. So be aware :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Stating which, when I bought mine Mora Classic, next on the shelf were COPY's of Clippers. Some original clippers were there as well, but in one box, half the price, were clipper copys from China witch looked exactly the same: handle material, shape, length. The only difference was NO marking on blade. So be aware :)

Personally I have no problem with Chinese knives marked as such or even cheap knives and axes with no country of origin marked but if it says Mora Sweden or Sheffield England then that is where it should be made, then customers can choose where their money goes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE