Mora Classic #2 - Modified! WIP pictures!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Afernoon all, I've been busy today modifying my Mora Classic #2 today! I got it a little while ago with intentions to change it to my liking as they come with great steel and a good starting point for light/heavy modding.

This is how it came..

DSCF4274_zps03010384.jpg

perfectly serviceable and razor sharp out the box! But why stop there? ;)

I started my venture yesterday after a trip to town to hunt the second hand shops for treasures and found this pool/snooker cue! Having seen a member use one to make a stick tang knife handle I knew it would co0me in handy for my nexy project, rehandling the stick tang blade of a hultafors heavy duty knife.

When I got it home I had a look at it and noticed the screw together part in the mid section was brass and being a scavanging recylcer I found a decent use for that part! Pommel! a nice fat brass pommel for the bottom of the Mora handle :D

I cut the brass end bit off and hacksawed the long threaded screw end away leaving just one screw for using to fit in the base of the handle for strength.

I then sanded and cleaned the base of the handle and began drilling down the length to make room for that remaining screw bit.

and time for some epoxy to keep it all in place! and for an overnight dry while I check my rations and ammo, incase the badgers plan a suprise night time raid! :rolleyes:

The tools for today and I actually nipped a little of the blade off with the grinder last night to act as a choil/finger protector.

and after the brass end was tidied up ont he grinder..

and some black marker to show what steel I will remove to create the shape blade that will work better for me! :)

and nearly done, just some cleaning up with sand paper..

Now some time for that red paint, it's tough stuff and pretty nice looking but I didn't want to stop there.

On with some sanding..

and a little burn..

after the first sanding I gave it a little burn to singe off any paint and get the wood warm for an oil coat. I then sanded it down, oiled and then buned it again to sink the oil - along with some hand rubbing to help it get in.

The I sanded and bee's waxed to lock in the oils and black colour form the sand paper and char.

Then a little hand rub and buff with some old cloth to remove the excess surface wax, but still leave a really grippy treated finish!

And a quick sand on the base to clean up the surface, I didn't bother going for shiny because it's gona be used to smash and pound stuff! :p

And with a little clean on the jeans and it's all done! looks pretty nice, and goes well with my man bag.. :cool:

Still have a sheath to do but I need some money for leather first! :rolleyes:

I hope you liked the WIP, the whole knife job didn't take long and was nice to have some man time in the cave.

Last edited:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I like what you have done to your Mora . I to have took off the red paint on mine, what a pig to get off.

Cheers
Topknot

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's looking great.............I knew there was potential in them there snooker cues! I did attempt to re-handle an old Maartini stainless blade with the thick end of one but the lack of a decent pillar drill got in the way again...............results can be seen on old post (Edge Tools)......got some more cues to play with now, so watch this space!....................Nice one, Samon.........................atb mac

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks very nice, good job! It's makes things more enjoyable to use when they've been given that personal touch.

Nice. I like that.

Z

Ah, thank you gents!

I like what you have done to your Mora . I to have took off the red paint on mine, what a pig to get off.

Cheers
Topknot

Sure is! stuff is on good and proper! I scraped some of it off too, as it's like enammle!

That's looking great.............I knew there was potential in them there snooker cues! I did attempt to re-handle an old Maartini stainless blade with the thick end of one but the lack of a decent pillar drill got in the way again...............results can be seen on old post (Edge Tools)......got some more cues to play with now, so watch this space!....................Nice one, Samon.........................atb mac

Try going reall slow ;)

I drilled down about an inche so it's a little different to a fill stick tang, but I will be using this to do the hultafors too so we will see.. there are plenty of cues in the secon hand shops round here though, so shouldn't be a problem getting loads more!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

Biker

Very nice work Samon. Gotta admire your tool skills given the minimum kit you seem to have. I haven't seen a wheel brace used in decades!
I'm in two minds about that spear point, on one hand I liked the stock point, but that spear point has some sort of growing on me effect. VERY nice work mate, :You_Rock_.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Very nice - looks so much better

Very nice work Samon. Gotta admire your tool skills given the minimum kit you seem to have. I haven't seen a wheel brace used in decades!
I'm in two minds about that spear point, on one hand I liked the stock point, but that spear point has some sort of growing on me effect. VERY nice work mate, :You_Rock_.

Thanks dudes :)

That old hand drill is really handy, particularly when I'm playing around at night or in parts of my home that don't have power! I would have kept the standard tip had I not killed another knife tip days ago..

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Nice! Personalized tools are so much better to use. (The downside is that now it is way worse to lose it than a normal No.2)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
that looks great

lookingforward to the snooker knife too :)

Got a few bits of it sorted and ready for working today but forced the wood to split when practice assembling.. gona hunt for another cue on monday ;)

Looks better now i reckon :)

Nice! Personalized tools are so much better to use. (The downside is that now it is way worse to lose it than a normal No.2)

I does feel a bit more special and fits my taste better so I'm happy. And of course, I love to recycle old bits of crap into everything I have! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE