Mora 2000

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Easily one of the best mass produced outdoor knives on the market! Understand it's probably been covered here a few times, but that is one good blade!! Who here owns one?

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
I know the knife you mean but I haven't seen it anywhere for sale, looks quite interesting, seems to have an odd grind? What's with that?

I'm using a Mora Classic at the moment as a beginners knife and it does the job pretty well, takes a lovely edge. :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
AUSSIE said:
Easily one of the best mass produced outdoor knives on the market! Understand it's probably been covered here a few times, but that is one good blade!! Who here owns one?

I do and I agree with your appraisal of the knife. I've used the heck out of mine in the field and it is easily one of my favorites. I've even bataned the knife in order to get to the dry heartwood of some approximately 3" diameter limbs so that I could get a fire going on a cold and wet day. Not something I'd do with the other Mora's I own.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Yup, got one. It's good. :)

moras1b.jpg

It's a suberb utility/skinning knife - and that's the purpose of the more thinly ground area leading to the point. The tang is probably the stoutest of all the Moras with the exception of the full tang Laplander, and well shaped.
This pic will be a little big but the best I can do for now:
moraxraywtext2.jpg

Hopefully image size fixed..

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Yes I love the grind / profile on this blade it really is multi-purpose!! A few licks on a ceramic hone and I had that blade absolutely, scarily shaving sharp straight out of the box! Thanks for the pics with sheaths and tangs.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I've just stuck a handle on a blade I was given.When I eventually get round to making a sheath it will make a good strong user in the woods.

The blade takes a good edge but I have no idea how well it will hold it.

The 1227 Sandvik steel does very well for stainless. I got a bunch of these off an ebay seller and found big differences in factory grind, though. If a person does the required "Mora setup" varying from one to three hours at the outset (depending on the grind of the knife you get) - then it should be good for all day and maybe take 2-3 mins to get back to razor sharp at night as compared to 1-2 mins for carbon.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
OldJimbo,

Agree totally! I'd love to get these things as unstamped blade blanks!! Now that would be an awesome cottage industry! With stag, micarta or exotic wood handles!!

I'd put off getting one of these because they were very expensive around here - but then I found a seller on ebay who had lots - so I only paid around $15 each for mine.

Years ago i got what appeared to be an Eriksson 741 but sold under the Normark brand in Canada. It was pretty soft steel, and I said so when I wrote about it. I've been meaning to trade my grand-daughter to get it back, to send to Ragnar at Ragweed forge because it's the only Mora (if it was made by them) that any of us have heard of - let alone seen - with soft steel. The only task that I've ever found where Sandvik steel didn't match up to carbon or the better stainless, in the edge holding/resharpening tradeoff, is in scraping down axe handles to shape them.
I actually have some unstamped Moras - the narrow bladed carving style, but in carbon not laminated, that were sold by Lee Valley for $5 (knife and sheath, not just blade). Hoodoo and I used to joke about them being "sterile" knives for wartime use, because some manufacturers were using that as a sales tactic...

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
I'm actually very suprised that given the popularity of Scandi Blades in the UK that you don't hear more about the Mora 2000 on Forums like this one. I know heaps of colonials from Canada, US and some from Oz who are really impressed with this knife.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
AUSSIE said:
I'm actually very suprised that given the popularity of Scandi Blades in the UK that you don't hear more about the Mora 2000 on Forums like this one. I know heaps of colonials from Canada, US and some from Oz who are really impressed with this knife.

I hadn't heard of them until I was given the blade.

It should be a very usefull tool,I must get the sheath made and get it into the woods.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
I was reluctant to buy one because of the plastic handle and sheath. Glad I did. It works well. Quite comfortable. Holds its edge well enough. I have gently batoned with it -- no adverse results. Light enough to wear as a necker. Well worth the price.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Yes I did read an account on a forum of a guy and his friend dressing / butchering a deer or elk with the Mora 2000 and that his pal was just blown away by how well the knife performed! This knife is a more than capable "hunting", "outdoor" knife. The next chance I get to work a goat or boar I'll give you guys a report!

While not very "Bushcrafty" I actually think the synthetic handle is highly practical for those of us who use the knife in wet applications such as skinning and meat prep etc.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I agree. I've used it to butcher a deer and a friend borrowed it the same day and did the skinning and butchering of a boar with only a cleaning and stropping done to the blade between the two. It performed extremely well for us both.

I read an account awhile back where the author had done the honors on a buck and deliberately left the knife in the elements for a considerable length of time. When he cleaned it up, it was no worse for wear.

Definitely an outdoorsmans knife and a danged good one.

I actually really dislike the handle (color and shape) but haven't had time to fix mine. The thing is, that even I have to admit that the handle is highly practical. A person should be able to peel potatoes and do all sorts of other jobs with total ease and security - not so easily doen with other blades!

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
I bought one from Ragnar at www.ragweedforge.com excellent service ,prices and products. Check out the rest of his site. Frost Moras at about the cheapest I'v seen. Intresting knife not very bushcrafty in the common sense but a very capable knife. I enjoy using it , its stainless steel so you dont have that constant worry of wiping it dry and having to oil it all the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE