Mora 120 alternative

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm looking for a cheap and cheerful whittling / carving knife.

The Mora 120 firs the bill but in short supply - any suggestions for a similar one?

Ideally with a "barrel" handle rather than Erm... sculptured. The Mora Basis would be OK but not keen on that type of handle shape

Cheers

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Have you looked at the Mora 105?, the Mora 2/0 is quite a good carver too, its a baby Mora Classic.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
There are some custom UK options in much better steel, but not as cheap, unfortunately. The good custom carving knives not only comes with a heavy price tag with also a loooooong waitlist. But I found a good alternative with no waitlist, reasonably good price and much better product than any production knife.

I recently bought one of the knives shown in the link below. The small version is the same size as Mora 120, but with much better steel (RWL 34). Several times better edge retention with better or comparable toughness (assuming the core steel of Mora 120 is 1095). It is also stainless meaning that you can also use it on organic material if you need to in camping. That would make it a very good neck knife in hunting and fishing trips or in canoe trip. It also comes with a much better handle (as I found the Mora handle bit thick and short for my hands) and fantastic wooden sheath. For full disclosure, I ordered the large one as I already have Mora 120, but accidentally I have received the small one! However, it seems that the maker is a perfect gent as he immediately apologised and offered to replace the knife. That being said he had some health-related issues and I have been waiting for the replacement for 40 days now. But it should arrive in a couple of days as I have received an e-mail saying my order is completed.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
There are some custom UK options in much better steel, but not as cheap, unfortunately. The good custom carving knives not only comes with a heavy price tag with also a loooooong waitlist. But I found a good alternative with no waitlist, reasonably good price and much better product than any production knife.

I recently bought one of the knives shown in the link below. The small version is the same size as Mora 120, but with much better steel (RWL 34). Several times better edge retention with better or comparable toughness (assuming the core steel of Mora 120 is 1095). It is also stainless meaning that you can also use it on organic material if you need to in camping. That would make it a very good neck knife in hunting and fishing trips or in canoe trip. It also comes with a much better handle (as I found the Mora handle bit thick and short for my hands) and fantastic wooden sheath. For full disclosure, I ordered the large one as I already have Mora 120, but accidentally I have received the small one! However, it seems that the maker is a perfect gent as he immediately apologised and offered to replace the knife. That being said he had some health-related issues and I have been waiting for the replacement for 40 days now. But it should arrive in a couple of days as I have received an e-mail saying my order is completed.

Nice looking carving knives there, the shipping is a bit high, but nice alternative

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I like to know which way the knife is in my hand that symmetrical handle does not give the info. Otherwise I see no problems.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Nice looking carving knives there, the shipping is a bit high, but nice alternative
Yeah, I also asked the maker about the high shipping price and he said he is using a first-class signed for delivery which is £ 7.5 and the rest is for packing and time it takes to post. I think this is fair considering he probably needs to pack and send items individually himself rather than big companies which probably send regular transport to the post office.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE