Monty Halls' Great Escape

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Just started on BBC2 at 2100.

"Marine Biologist and professional diver Monty Halls turns his back on city life to become a 21st century beachcomber on the west coast of Scotland".

First of a five part series.

Sounds like it may be interesting.

Martin

I think professional beachcomber is stretching it a bit...the guy obviously has a huge bank balance to play with and he's not exactly done very much himself, he's paid other folk to do it for him; which is great as it pumps a lot of dosh into the community...

But hey it's great to see the coast, a lovely part of the world.

I think Mike Tomkies would have suited the title better when he lived on Isle Shona:D

Gailainne

Life Member
I must say I agree with WS, I got the impression of someone with a lot of cash, (and behind the scenes assistance/research) playing at it, nice work if you can get it.

We'll see what future episodes bring.

Lovely part of the world tho, views are stunning, have'nt been up that way for years, I'll have to remedy that soon.

Stephen

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I must say I agree with WS, I got the impression of someone with a lot of cash, (and behind the scenes assistance/research) playing at it, nice work if you can get it.

At the end of the day isn't this what any of these style programmes are? I don't think I've ever seen a TV programme yet where the person actually gives up everything to go live a new life somewhere permenantly fior any longer than a year.

Not that I'm knocking this programme because as people say glourious scenery, and at least he knows his marine stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it all :)

Podcast Bob

As it happens I was up in that area the same time last year and weather was incredible. It wasn't a suprise that the first episode indicated the perfect location and outlook.

As he's only there for 6 months from April through to September, it's just one long holiday. He has money, connections, a researcher or two and all the basics covered. He deosn't even have to start collecting wood for winter and preparing for some proper hardship.

Not what I would call a tough life. Experts coming out of the pub to handle everything for him, and the BBC name to back it up. The locals know full well that the area will be innundated by tourists (and alternative life seekers) over the next few years, so naturally they are cashing in on it.

The same thing happened at Tarensay (sp?) after the original Castaways programme. It is now an alternative holiday desitination and money has flowed into the area.

Not that I want to deprive them of it. That area of rural Scotland really does need the financial support and when I was there the fuel strikes were on, so I saw first hand the effect of the reduced number of campervans and early holiday makers and how tight Spring was looking for some of them.

I enjoyed the images though, and yes it made me want to visit again. But my dissapointment is with the BBC, who can't do anything properly without (a) a celebrity, and (b) parachute. 'Survival' is such a misued term in media land. It seems anything outside the M25 is classed as survival.

He admits to not being a 'Ray Mears' type, so what is the prog all about then? The simple life (providing you have money) to show all of us what we are missing, as we are doing our best to get through the current situation. It strikes me it is more a tourist information series to boost the economy in rural Scotland.

Cheers thanks BBC. The Public Service Broadcasting service for which we pay another Tax for scores another great hit, and we learn diddly squat.

Lovely to look at, but seriously ..... totally pointless.

At the end of the day isn't this what any of these style programmes are? I don't think I've ever seen a TV programme yet where the person actually gives up everything to go live a new life somewhere permenantly fior any longer than a year.

Not that I'm knocking this programme because as people say glourious scenery, and at least he knows his marine stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it all :)

The only two folk who I'm aware of who come close in the Uk are Mike Tomkies and Jim Crumley; Mike made the films and nobody in TV or film bought them, as for Jim...he's the most under-rated wilderness man/writer in the UK and as far as I can tell gave up quite a lucrative carreer to live his dream.

A film about Mike's life would be one of the best wilderness films ever and Jim would come a close second. Both remarkable people and would make great tv better than the crxx that keeps cropping up under false pretenses!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
He admits to not being a 'Ray Mears' type, so what is the prog all about then? The simple life (providing you have money) to show all of us what we are missing, as we are doing our best to get through the current situation. It strikes me it is more a tourist information series to boost the economy in rural Scotland.

Cheers thanks BBC. The Public Service Broadcasting service for which we pay another Tax for scores another great hit, and we learn diddly squat.

Lovely to look at, but seriously ..... totally pointless.

It is easy to scoff at such a programme but I suspect there is little intent other than to entertain and, if I may say so, this is what it has so far delivered. That our guide made very clear he is not the type to "make fire" care of the squirrel frication method was an early hint this is not aimed at Woodloreians!

Just enjoy it for the Beeb subsidised jolly up it so clearly is and marvel at his good fortune and guile in snaffling such an assignment.

I note there are a few threads running on this programme but not with the same clarity of what they relate to as here.

Cheers!

rancid badger

As far as I'm concerned; as long as you understand that there is a substantial amount of cash, as well as obvious technical assistance involved and therefore; it's not real, it's the kind of thing I'll watch.I really don't care if it's aimed at boosting tourism or what have you.
I would like to see more of our licence payers money, being spent on programming that actually promotes what we have to offer.
He certainly had not "dropped out of the rat race" he was there working and I would imagine; being well paid for it. As already stated; nice work if you can get it!.

If at any point, it end's up looking and sounding like that "wild gourmets" thing, I'll stop watching.;)
cheers
Steve

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
If you ignore the BBC, researchers, cash, pre-arranged labour before he got there, surviving without help, more cash and the 40 or so behind the camera people staying in motorholmes just out of camera shot....... I'd swap places with him tomorrow!
(although can you leave a couple of people behind as I'm not too good with pigs and chickens, oh and some cash would come in handy !!) :D

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I enjoyed the program and await the book of the series.
Did anyone else notice the full then empty then full roof-rack continuity mistake near the start and when he went for the pigs?
I'll get my anorak!
Alan

Podcast Bob

I've just had this arrive in my press box this morning ... I think I rest my case ;-)

--------------------------------

PRESS RELEASE

The first episode of the BBC2 series Monty Hall’s Great Escape has caused a frenzy of interest in the Applecross peninsula, prompting hopes of a bumper year for tourism in the remote community. The programme, filmed during the perfect weather of spring 2008, followed Monty’s attempts to live as a crofter for six months and featured stunning shots of the scenery of Wester Ross and the adjacent Isle of Skye. The jaw-dropping visuals had viewers rushing to their computers to find out more about the idyllic spot.

“Since the programme aired on Sunday night we’ve experienced a 1300% increase in visitors reaching our site via Google searches on the name Applecross”, said Paul Webster, who runs the walkers’ website Walkhighlands which helps to promote the area. “Searches for the remote village are usually steady but few. We’ve never seen such an explosion of interest in a place before. The Inn there is always popular but I’m sure that Applecross businesses are going to have a terrific year, credit crunch or not.”

MEDIA INFORMATION

Applecross is in Wester Ross on the West Coast of Scotland.

Award-winning www.walkhighlands.co.uk is Scotland's most popular website for walkers and features over 650 free routes across the Scottish Highlands. The site helps to promote tourism throughout the region.

Paul or Helen Webster, 01470 562419

editor@walkhighlands.co.uk

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I've already placed my order for the first 5 Monty Hall Gull-Wing Highlander Knives.:lmao: Allan Wood made of course and only available care of the Applecross Inn!

Cheers!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Beautiful scenery; reasonable plot; bit of wildlife interest; nice dog; no pretence at realism and no one doing stupid or dangerous things.

Just hope no :censored: sees the opportunity to build a golf course and shed loads of posh houses on the scenery.:(

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
As everything nowadays has some financial direct or indirect purpose and TV shows being no exception (even the high quality BBC ones) like other people here I can't help expecting and suspecting signs of it...good looking presenters or great communicators, program aims at a wide audience, bit of this, bit of that so everyone stays hooked, etc.

But I must say Monty Halls and Applecross passed this test with me, I really enjoyed the programme for all the reasons already mentioned in other posts here. Being a dog lover I loved seeing Rueben dancing away on the beach just 10 days after being out of RSPCA kennels. Monty is unpretentious and things seem "real" enough. True we didn't see the toilets but it may just be because the subject was considered a waste of airtime or too "technical".

It seemed to me obvious that Monty can easily afford his project and the speed at which it takes off. Many of us couldn't and therefore would face more obstacles and need more resiliance than he does.

Many "just do it" TV programmes show people who are comfortably off.

But Monty is still a "hands on" guy and things as they are presented seem reasonably realistic. Let us see how it goes as the series progresses.

His girlfriend (I read this in Radio Times) joins him at Applecross only once in a while, things may keep her in town or she doesn't share his enthusiasm and this could be the reason he doesn't move there permanently. Again we don't know how close to these people's real life the TV story is.

Enjoyable moment, looking forward to next episodes.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
If you ignore the BBC, researchers, cash, pre-arranged labour before he got there, surviving without help, more cash and the 40 or so behind the camera people staying in motorholmes just out of camera shot....... I'd swap places with him tomorrow!
(although can you leave a couple of people behind as I'm not too good with pigs and chickens, oh and some cash would come in handy !!) :D

i can help you with the pigs and chickens. you just sort out the rest. :)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
. Being a dog lover I loved seeing Rueben dancing away on the beach just 10 days after being out of RSPCA kennels.

But what happened to Rueben after the filming was he just a Prop or did he keep him.
It just seemed rather strange he got him just before the filming started.

I also found it rather strange that he thought he could save the Seagull and a "Local" had to put it out of it's misery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE