Monty Don new champion of Crafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
"THEY are the crafts that seemed to have fallen foul of our throwaway culture. The intricate dry stone walls cutting gently through our countryside and the delicate wrought iron created at the anvil were seen as dying skills of a bygone era.

Apparently not, according to gardener and presenter Monty Don, who insists such crafts are enjoying a renaissance as people reject the thrill of instant gratification and opt for “meaningful skills [that] modern life hasn’t been very good at supplying”.

Full article here in the Express
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view...-fallen-in-love-with-traditional-crafts-again

If you care about traditional crafts and would like to see them supported and promoted visit the Heritage Crafts Association www.heritagecrafts.org.uk
or joint the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/pages/Heritage-Crafts-Association/76521534812?ref=mf

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Yeah it's nice that they are being revived, but these trad crafts/items tend to return as boutique crafts for yuppies that normal people can't afford. What me ...negative?

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I wanted to do a cabinat makers course. I approached the local tech college and they dont do one. No one in the area does one.
No blacksmiths either.
Even butchers are a trade in decline, and as for bakers and candlestick makers.....

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'm off doing a hedgelaying course at the end of this month, i'm REALLY looking forward to it, good hard graft with a fantastic payoff. i'd love to learn drystone walling too.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I wanted to do a cabinat makers course. I approached the local tech college and they dont do one. No one in the area does one.
No blacksmiths either.
Even butchers are a trade in decline, and as for bakers and candlestick makers.....

Where are you at? I have contacts in the smithing trade (surprise surprise).

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Anyone tried the BTCV holidays or courses? British Trust for Conservation Volunteers I think it is.

BTCV

I went on a few of their weekends a few years ago. Not done the courses. I've learned basic hedge laying, dry stone walling, built a footbridge over a stream and several other things.

I can only speak for their weekends but they are great fun and you make a load of new (and mad!) friends. Food and indoor camping is provided and a trip to the pub seems to be involved of an evening!

Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE