Monty Alford's Yu-Can Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I rarely drive anywhere without a good stash of water in the back of my car or truck. In the winter though, my water bottles freeze (I usually store water in 2 liter pop bottles). However, I always keep some water in an aluminum canteen of one sort or another, with the idea that if I get stuck on the road in the middle of a snowstorm (a very real possibility here in Michigan), I could melt the ice in my canteen for water.

Of course, another winter solution is to melt snow for water. This is common among winter campers. However, suppose you are just out for a day's hike and need to overnight? Or stuck in a car in a snowdrift for a couple days?

Monty Alford's book,
1895811953.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

has some good solutions. I think I first heard about this book here at BCUK, but was recently reminded of it by a friend who lives in the Northwest Territories and spends a lot of time winter camping, so I finally got around to reading it and there is some excellent advice in his book. It's one of those no-nonsense books with simple talk and simple solutions that will keep your butt alive.

One of his solutions is the YuCan stove, an easily made, easily carried stove powered by tea candles that will melt snow when you are stuck in a snow cave or vehicle and keep you hydrated for a day or two, until help arrives.

It's essentially a can inside a can. The heat comes from 2-4 tea candles held in the base. Two holes are cut at the base for air to enter and so that tea candles can easily be replaced. A wire or nail or two are slipped through the can to suspend the melt-water can above the tea candles. A lid for the top and a bail chain and you are good to go.

I also took the lid off a small altoids tin, which I found will slip inside the base as well. This can serve as a "burner" for an esbit cube which will give you a lot more heat, enough to actually boil water and cook with if needed.

Here's some photos:

The two cans I used:

yucan1b.jpg

Cut two openings at the base, one on each side, at least 40 mm wide.

yucan2b.jpg

Drill some holes to suspend a can above the tea candles. These are place about 38-40 mm above the base of the can.

yucan3b.jpg

This is the finished YuCan stove. The lid was cut from the base of another can.

yucan4b.jpg

As mentioned above, I think this will make a great esbit stove as well. Just add a small cup big enough to hold a cube, but small enough to slip into the base and bob's yer uncle. :)

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Nice work Hoodoo. Book looks good too.

One thing to remember is that Esbit tabs give of noxious fumes so should only be burnt if in a well ventilated area, you'll get a stonking headache at least and may become nauseous.

Moduser

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
moduser said:
One thing to remember is that Esbit tabs give of noxious fumes so should only be burnt if in a well ventilated area, you'll get a stonking headache at least and may become nauseous.

Moduser

Yup, I should have qualified that. The esbit is more for cooking where there is good ventilation than melting water in a confined space.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Hoodoo,
nice work mate much cleaner than mine.
Here is mine in use, its great when you are sleeping and have the little stove as a lamp at the same time you get some warm water all night long.
I only use tea candles.
inside_shelter02.jpg

cheers
Abbe

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very cool guys! I think this will turn out to be very handy. Now I need to make one for my snowshoeing pack. This one is going into my truck.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i made a similar one of these a while ago.. i would suggest a wooden on the lid handle so it doesnt conduct, apart from that.. nice one!

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hoodoo said:
Very cool guys! I think this will turn out to be very handy. Now I need to make one for my snowshoeing pack. This one is going into my truck.

Hoodoo, how did you get the lid so nice? its not the original one from the pineapple can as this one must be rolled up or?

cheers
Abbe

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I made one from a container from NEXT, £3.50 in the sale!
Spotted the container and noticed it was in two bits a stainless steel outer with holes in and a tight fitting but not fixed inner SS container, with no seams!
The only catch is the lid has a clear plastic insert but I knocked up a thick foil lid from a disposable tray, and made a burner by melting candles and tipping into an old tin I had with a cardboard wick. Using two tent pegs as a pot holder I knocked up a decent stove that I tried at the northern meet.
I think I will fit a wire handle to the pot and try it with hexamine or a gel burner I have as the candle worked but was a little slow and smoky.
showphoto.php

showphoto.php

Ps it was a lot shinier when I bought it!
Hopefully there will be photos attached if not the pics are in the gallery! :eek:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Abbe Osram said:
Hoodoo, how did you get the lid so nice? its not the original one from the pineapple can as this one must be rolled up or?

cheers
Abbe

Abbe, I cut the lid from another can of the same diameter. I used one of those can openers that cuts along the edge of the can, not the top.

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
I followed the link on Abbe's site then threw it into a translation package and came up with this:

Here, you find current pinches and transporting costs on our products

Grundmodell

The price is 390 sek with storing bag, and 290 sek without
storing bag.

MaxiModell

The price is 450 sek with storing bag, and 350 sek without
storing bag.

Monterbara feet

A set if 3 feet cost 70 sek.

Taken from http://www.tra-inventive.com/

I'm sure Abbe will correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Greywolf

P.S. 1 GBP=13.5732 SEK

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Greywolf is right!
I like to add something about the (Frakt) = shipment costs, and some info on the gear!

I have the GrundModell with a bag and its a great tool, for me its enough with the Basic Modell, its not too heavy to have with you in your rucksack and it safes a lot of hussle for deep snow fire fixing. Before you had to build a plattform or shuffle the snow to the ground. You can see how I use the Modell in some of the pictures in the Gallery. In UK you dont have so deep snow and I wonder if you need such a thing. If you go to the north where there is a lot of snow its a great tool.

You will not need the Maxi or the Feet and stuff like that, this is only for none Bushcrafters. ;-)

Well, if you dont want to make yourself such a thing, here is the shipping cost too. Rest info read from Greywolfs post.

If you order outside of sweden there will come shipping and something I cant translate, I believe this are the cost he has when the post pays him and the post take the money from you, its a kind of post service system to protect his interest.
Everything together will be 180 SEK for shippment cost total including taxes.

cheers
Abbe

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Abbe, I really like the looks of that fire grate. Do you know what the mesh is made of? Also, what are the dimensions? I wouldn't mind trying to "cook one up." :D I often carry a simple cookie sheet to build small cook fires on.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hoodoo said:
Abbe, I really like the looks of that fire grate. Do you know what the mesh is made of? Also, what are the dimensions? I wouldn't mind trying to "cook one up." :D I often carry a simple cookie sheet to build small cook fires on.

Hi Hoodoo,
I dont know what kind of steel he is using but I am sure it is one which doesnt burn through so fast. Maybe some of the knife makers here know which kind of steel takes the best heat beating.

I am going to meassure the little thing for you but I have to find it first in my mess here. ;-)

yours
Abbe

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
lardbloke said:
Many thanks for the info my friends. I think I might have a shot at making one of those, well adapting it for my own needs.

Would the grate from a disposable BBQ work?

I wished we got enough snow here to warrent me making one :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE