Monkey puzzle wood

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
One for the woodworkers on here...

I came across a fallen monkey puzzle tree this weekend, very dead, and took the opportunity to snap off one of the branches, slightly less than and inch in diameter.

Playing with it later, I found that the wood has a core, the heartwood, that readily crumbles into powder, meaning that with the aid of a bit of wire, you can push the core out and leave a bit of wood with a narrow hole down the middle.

I don't know about you, but that sounds useful to me. I was wondering what applications people might come up with for this. My two initial suggestions are a whistle, or a handle (thread a wire or some cord through it). Any other bright ideas?

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
ooh that could be good for quite a few things, smokers pipe or a whistle are the first two that come to mind. also sounds good for making wooden jewellery out of.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I would be slightly concerned about things like a pipe or a blow poker as there might be some toxins in the wood making it unsuitable for putting in the mouth, I know nothing about it but I would check it out online before I did something like that.

I may sound over cautious but I am a bit wary about that kind of thing. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong however.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I would be slightly concerned about things like a pipe or a blow poker as there might be some toxins in the wood making it unsuitable for putting in the mouth

Good points, the Monkey Puzzle (Araucaria araucana) is a non toxic wood, the nuts from it are edible and iirc the resin/sap has been used to treat wounds (helps the healing), that's assuming of course that it's the same beast:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE