Money for old wood.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
After a particularly heavy snow fall this winter I noticed some spruce boughs pulled down by the weight of snow. Not one to pass up an opportunity I quickly procured a length, split it and carved a spoon. I find this one of the best ways to learn about a particular type of wood, this was my first spruce. I was amazed by the grain, so quickly gatherd some more wood.

IMG_4510.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4682.jpg

I find spoon carving great fun. You can slip a blank in your pocket when you go for a walk making a great excuse to stop and do some whittling outside. I can also carve at work as my job involves setting up machines then watching to make sure they dont mess up. I usually give my spoons away as pressies to friends and family, but recently some colleagues at work entered some paintings in an art exibition and said I should enter my spoons. Compared with their paintings I hardly considerd my spoons art. They kept on and on, so in the end I put them in to have some peace. I put them up for 10 euros each. Safe bet no one would buy one. How wrong I was. I sold 6! So, now I have 60 euros burning a hole in my pocket. Not bad for some old wood!

Reactions: tomtom

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Thanks for all your kind words. I have invested the money I made in sandpaper, Danish and Chestnut Oil. Spoons are on the back burner for a while as the bow staves I acquired last year are crying out to be worked! :D

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Jan Ververs said:
Very, very nice indeed!
What tools do you use, is it done only by hand or are there machines used?

All done with a scandi pack pal, Bacho saw, Frost spoon knife, sand paper, a needle rasp and way too much time on my hands. I was actualy thinking about starting a support group for spoon making addicts :lmao: I have noticed that there are quite a few of us on here with serious habits :eek:

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
norco said:
hi yarrow

that is some very nice work. is there any chance of getting one those fine crafted spoons.

Well seeing as you asked and were so polite.....hey why not. See you on the west coast dude :bandit:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE