MOLLE; does anyone bother with it ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys,

I've been mulling over how I could put the molle strips on my rucksack to good use, thinking about picking up a tear away panel and an 'admin' pouch

I figure I can keep all my small junk - phone, tobacco, firelighting kit, journal and pen in it rather than stuffing pockets, and be able to rip it off when I need it.

Has anyone got any neat systems using MOLLE? I'd love to know if the huge variety of grenade, magazine, and all other pouches have a perfect unintended bushcraft use!

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
I'm not a user of MOLLE kit but those 3x 5.56x45mm magazine pouches happen to take those thermal mugs ( http://www.rvops.co.uk/thermal-mug-1130.html ) rather well. It's a big no-no for squaddies to do so, as a mug of hot tea isn't quite as vital as the 3 mags would be, but for bushcrafty purposes it might come in handy.

Also a grenade pouch should be able to hold an FFD or a lensatic compass.

I use the molle system on my predator pack http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54329 I find it good for compartmentalising my equipment as it allows me to know where a specific item is rather than searching through the whole pack for one tiny item that has slipped down to the bottom.
the omni pouch also takes a waterproof jacket if rolled up well which prevents having to expose any of my other kit to the rain.
Sam

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Hallo MOT,

Just took a gander at the pack on your linky and one of our lads has something remarkably similar to that, but in DPM. I think the Desert DPM version is made by PRI and issued to those who need it, but his was of the green-and-brown variety and sporting the Karrimor markings - a private purchase. Looks decidedly bigger than the usual NI pack, and he has one of the pouches you do (the 2 small, 1 large pockets one) on one side, and a 3L issue camelback on the other. Seems like good kit.

alright iano
the green one in my thread is made by pri they do a range of colours from what i recall.
good packs i used mine on the woodlore fundamental course i went on this year. its also my main user when i am off out and about unless i've access to a car.
you can now get individual parts too one mag pouch or two mag pouch in all the colours its available in.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use an Omni Pouch on the back of my Lowe Alpine Sting.

It's ideal for stashing the Primus Etasolo and brew kit, making a quick brew up easy. I've also used it to carry a waterproof jacket and it takes the DD 3 x 3m tarp too.

The reason I chose that particular pouch was its ability to fold almost flat when not in use, but still be able to carry useful "bushy" items when opened up.

Simon

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Anyone added Molle straps to a pack not equiped with? Thinking of adding to my Rocketpak to increase versatility.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
@R.Lewis. It should be easy enough to do, depending on where you put them. I'm in the middle of building my own MOLLE rig using custom made pouches in slightly more civilian colours. It's simply 1" tape with 1" spaces between rows and ~1.5" for each column. All I would say is consider weatherproofing the back of any stitching.

If modifying your own pack is impractical then maybe consider a MOLLE enable panel attached with your pack's existing straps

Last edited:
i keep thinking of usint it

ive got some MOLLIE bolt on clips for knives that woudl fit leather or Kydex ot otehr pouches to conver them to Mollie
just need ot get round to an idea maybe a Mollie Axe mask ??? tho i jsut stuff mine between the side pocket and main sac etc

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
MOT, sounds good, I might have to look into one of those in a bit.

RL, adding MOLLE loops to packs that weren't built with them is a not-unusual modification in the forces in the last few years since MOLLE pouches were introduced that go directly on your body armour, but the great majority of non-ops-specific kit doesn't have any way to mount them onto.

If you ring JayJays in Brecon, or Troopers of Colchester, they should be able to sort you out with something, even if on a civvy pack. Alternatively Dixie's Corner (also Brecon) or Dragon Supplies (also Colly) might be able to help out too. No association with them, and I've not used them myself, but a couple of my lads have for custom beltkit and they come recommended, JayJays and Troopers especially so.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Me! hehe...and if it sticks, then it works

Photo0406.jpg

Yup, thats a 58 poncho roll :)

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Caliban, is that pack an Alpha AIII, or some other make of US 3-day/assault pack? I'm impressed at how much you've managed to stick on that, does it get a bit 'wobbly' for want of a better word, or is it all pretty much solid on there?

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
If anyone is after a decent pack with molle fittongs go for the lowe alpine sting. Endicotts are doing them for £50 at the moment.
I've got a olive green version and used to use US usmc issue pouches on the front. I used to use 2x 200round saw poiches on the bottom row of strips with my crusader cookset in one with fuel, and rationpack in the other.above them on the upper rows I used a molle usmc waistpack with tools and hat,gloves, accessories etc in it. I liked this pouch because if I removed it from the pack i could wear it as a daysack and dump the main pack.

My new set up is 2x usmc coyote sustainment pouches on the front. These are nearly as big as brit bergen side pouches so it greatly increases my carrying capacity

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
If anyone is after a decent pack with molle fittongs go for the lowe alpine sting. Endicotts are doing them for £50 at the moment.
I've got a olive green version and used to use US usmc issue pouches on the front. I used to use 2x 200round saw poiches on the bottom row of strips with my crusader cookset in one with fuel, and rationpack in the other.above them on the upper rows I used a molle usmc waistpack with tools and hat,gloves, accessories etc in it. I liked this pouch because if I removed it from the pack i could wear it as a daysack and dump the main pack.

My new set up is 2x usmc coyote sustainment pouches on the front. These are nearly as big as brit bergen side pouches so it greatly increases my carrying capacity

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Caliban, is that pack an Alpha AIII, or some other make of US 3-day/assault pack? I'm impressed at how much you've managed to stick on that, does it get a bit 'wobbly' for want of a better word, or is it all pretty much solid on there?

Col managed to pick that up on an airsoft forum i think, its a propper Tactical Tailor 3dap, pretty darn rugged tbh and i didn't notice any wobble on our travels, but you'd have to ask him how it sits.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Evenin..
As MF says, its a Tactical Tailor 3DAP with corresponding hydration pouch (from this angle) on the right, on Condor EMT pouch (3 days of food) and Life Systems FAK on the left. The 58 pattern poncho roll holds a normal British Army bivi which attaches surprisingly well - two clips on MOLLE you can see on the back, plus another two clips on MOLLE that runs both sides of the bag. No wobble whatsoever.
Combined with the Snugpak, holds everything I'd need for 3 days out in the field.

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Well i'm looking for some good molle stuff for my sting.

I think I might get an omni pouch,what is the best size of other pouches anyone can recommend.

I've got an entrenching tool one that does for a water bottle somewhere in the mound of kit already.

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
My new weekend kit is is all based on molle. This has everything I need for 2 days except bedroll, which I wear over my other should and the tarp that goes into the dump pouch.

Here's the front.

100_1388.jpg

A shot from the side.

100_1390.jpg

And here it is broken apart.

100_1391.jpg

Starting at the left there is my dump pouch that when opened holds my tarp system, the small brown pouch holds my multi tool, the black sheath and knife is a SOG Field Pup (that I"m trying out), the green pouch the right is my gadget pouch that holds various knick knacks and fire kit, the small red pack is my little first aid kit, the black pouch holds extra clothes and a candle lantern. The big pouch in the system holds my water bottle and cookset, the pouch on the front holds my food, all dehydrated, and stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE