Modified windproof smock

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I bought a OD windproof smock a while ago and ive loved every moment of wearing so when another one came up on BCUK i decided to buy it.

This one however was a dessert dmp issue one and i wanted to tone it down.
So after a pack of dylon machine dye and a permenant marker to colour the zips and cord etc in then a good coating of thompsons water seal i was left with the smock below.

The next job is to replace the buttons with velcro and remove the rank slide holder.
Im removing the buttons because they get caught up in the nets whilst rabbiting.

tundra053.jpg

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Nice job. How did you find the waterproofing with Thomsons, stinks a bit doesn't it? :D If I was you I'd go for press studs rather than velcro. Two reasons mainly velcro is fine when clean, but can get clogged up easy outside, and if you are hunting or similar the rip of velcro can be a bit loud. Good luck with the modding though.

Nag.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Yeah the white spirit used to thin the wax in thomsons water seal does smell a bit but once the coats dry and left outside to air for a few days it more or less dissapears.

Thanks for the idea of the presstuds i shall look into it.

In my opinion these smocks are awesome and once proofed really do hold of water from a big down pour.

I will be using some waterseal on a pair of polycotton lightweight trousers soon so i will let you know how they perform if anyones interested?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Or if you can get hold of some more desert DPM material, sew additional flaps over the outside of the existing pocket flaps - so the button is concealed and doesn't snag.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Or if you can get hold of some more desert DPM material, sew additional flaps over the outside of the existing pocket flaps - so the button is concealed and doesn't snag.

Who's a clever lad then? :lmao: That is a much better idea all round I think.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I think i may use presstuds either side of the button holes then when im not netting i can use the buttons but when i am netting i can leave the button sat under the flap and fasten it down with the presstuds.

What do you guys think?

Im loving all these ideas thanks guys

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I think i may use presstuds either side of the button holes then when im not netting i can use the buttons but when i am netting i can leave the button sat under the flap and fasten it down with the presstuds.

What do you guys think?

Im loving all these ideas thanks guys

Or save a few pennies and sew a button-sized loop of paracord to the inside of the flap at the top of the button hole, just to keep the flap closed while you're working without having to pass the button all the way through.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Reading through, I was about to suggest exactly the same as Andy E, though my reason would be to avoid the noise of opening a velcro pocket from scaring everything away for miles around.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Reading through, I was about to suggest exactly the same as Andy E, though my reason would be to avoid the noise of opening a velcro pocket from scaring everything away for miles around.

ATB

Ogri the trog

:lmao: so is that great minds thinking alike... or fools seldom differing ? :D ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE