Modification to a Zeltbahn shelter half

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
I particularly like the flecktarn 5 spot German camouflage, so set about altering the two shelter halves I have to give them more of an open aspect. initially i thought of putting in a couple of zips to secure the porch but that would have defeated the object.
so after cutting and hemming I buttoned it together but found the porch too long for my liking. A simple solution was to fold it under and button it to its original ridge seam, I then sewed the folded hems together along with the sleeve vents, lastly I stitched three pole loops on the edge of the porch tarp. this for me was a far better length.

Next I took the supporting poles out and replaced them with two modified ball and loops to go through the brass corner roof grommets, I added a small carabiner which was then supported via paracord to a tree. this made much more space available even with a camp cot.

The only thing I may change is to utilise the spare folded under fabric to sew in a triangle either side for extra weather protection, although it did work fine this weekend in wet and windy conditions at North Wood.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good-looking camp. Thanks for the extra lights in the dusk picture.
I can see the wind in the trees and in the fire smoke. How cold at night did you expect?

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
great set up Steve.

He has been talking about it for a while and having seen it in person, i may well change my zeltbhan set up to one similar too, but with a couple of changes that me and Steve discussed. I has a lot of room and with no poles inside lots of free space for a bed and your kit.

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
Looks like a really nice setup - I'd not heard of the system before, and it might be great for local nights away.

Would it be possible for a quick sketch / schematic of the modifications you've done? Perhaps a plan view with the shelter laid out flat?

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Looks like a really nice setup - I'd not heard of the system before, and it might be great for local nights away.

Would it be possible for a quick sketch / schematic of the modifications you've done? Perhaps a plan view with the shelter laid out flat?

Yes ok I will take a few pics of the key areas when I get a minute, Xmas shopping and all that. ;)

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I'll make a separate thread shortly but wanted to let you know I have received my pair of shelter halves - very nice condition and not as madly heavy as I was expecting. Decided to add zips to mine and have also added a line of stitching around the join of the two pieces as I don't intend to separate them. Got a few more pull-outs to add and then i can test it - got an ammo tin stove to test in it, too :)
Cheers
Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE