Modernised Leuku

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A good friend of mine is a wilderness expedition leader and open boat canoe instructor. He had long been singing the praises of his Leuku for everything from felling trees to carving up caribou but a solidly wet week last September on a big Swedish lake played hell with the leather sheath and didn't improve the wooden handle all that much either.

Since I had already made him a Kydex multi poistion sheath (primarily for neck carry) for his Fallkniven F1, he asked if I could make something in Kydex for the Leuku. That then expanded to fitting a new manmade handle. His only stipulations were that he wanted it all black, to match his F1 rig, that it had to have some brass somewhere, to comply with old Sammi tradition, and that the handle had to work with mittens too.

The result isn't fancy, but boy does it cut! 9" blade lightly re-ground to a short convex edge, 5.25" handle from a solid block of canvas Micarta, brass spacer and pin. The sheath has a hole at the tip for tying on a monkey fist to aid in drawing the knife in cold weather and the use of screws allows it to be openned up a little for cleaning.

IMG_6449.jpg

IMG_6444.jpg

IMG_6445.jpg

IMG_6446.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very nice Chris. I have a couple modern leukus that are among my favorite knives. No kydex though. Took a pretty good sized chunk of kydex to make that eh. :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
When I acquired my 2mm kydex a few years back I had it cut into 4' x 1' lengths and managed to hang on to a couple, so the length of material wasn't a problem. Any longer though and it wouldn't have fitted in my dinky little press!!

cheers all

Rob, +1 on the film, not bad at all.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Uhuh :) :D That'd match my Spyderco bushcrafter that Chris completed for me :approve:

Gavin'd have fits though, me with a Leuku :rolleyes:

M

Only if you tell him...

Repeat after me,,
"It was in my storage locker, I've had it for ages"
or
"It's a passaround, I'm reviewing it for the forum"
Which is closely followed by
"Look what I won in the end of passaround draw!"

It goes without saying that neither of these excuses should be mentioned to Katy...
:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE