modded swedish snow smock...thanks mum!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Hi all, just thought i'd post some pics of my new modded smock, sorry for my not very photogenic face, can't mod that. anyway, the mods aren't wild or eccentric but am pleased with the results.
Now, the arms on these smocks i found very peculiar and my main requirement was to enlarge the gussets as others have done, this, soon became not an option because i actually didn't like the cuffs either. so i cut the arms off, just rushed right in as you do, and relised i'd bitten off more than i could cope with.

in steps mum, and does what mums do, and rescued the project. i bought the smock with the matching trousers, slightly different shade, and they were exactly the right size to make the right size arm holes that i wanted. so they became the donar material. Mum's triple stiched the seams and tailored the fit.

she then put on some genuine woolly cuffs, old school ones, not current cotton and elastic, but the original issue.

all buttons have been replaced with green plastic.

hood retainer strap.

and draw cord hem with blanket stitched holes.

wired hood.

the whole thing was run thru the washing machine again with another packet of dylon 'forest green' i think it was or'dark green' which went over a very patchy dye of olive quite well. the sleeves are a slightly different shade as the material was greyer than the smock was,.
very pleased with it now, cut is very roomy and is a good fit. not the work of a proffesional tailor, but i'm pleased, has more value to me.

smockmain-1.jpg

smockhood.jpg

smockretainer.jpg

smockflat.jpg

smockdraw.jpg

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i did put this thread into members only by mistake as i know there are some non-members who were doing similar and were interested in the results i have copied it over to here. i decided not to silk line it as i have a seprate parachute top. a mate of mine who is ex forces had a sniper smock in afghan lined like this and he said it made a tremndous difference but would recommend keeping it seperate if i had the top as it would give me more options, which i agreed with. also, no fir trim on hood as was originally planned.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
That looks good. I'd love one of those.

You were right about the face too, bet you've startled a few deer with that! :D

Liam

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
hahaha! that explains why i never see any!

No offence, I'm no oil painting myself, but I just couldn't resist sending a cheeky remark. ;)

I have to ask though, what was it about the sleeves that you disliked?

Good mods on the jacket by your mum.

I think Andybysea wore one unmodified apart from dyeing it, not sure. It seems everyone mods them when they get them.

Liam

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
No offence, I'm no oil painting myself, but I just couldn't resist sending a cheeky remark. ;)

I have to ask though, what was it about the sleeves that you disliked?

Good mods on the jacket by your mum.

I think Andybysea wore one unmodified apart from dyeing it, not sure. It seems everyone mods them when they get them.

Liam
the sleeves seem to have a very constrictive arm hole, is the best way i can describe it, that starts off narrow at the body, then as the sleeve progresses to the cuff it gets wider, also the arm was too short, and the cuff adjuster was very tight, so instead of fiddling about modding all the bits i took the sleeves off. i wanted something like my old sas windproof, i have one of the old over the head types, and this fitted the bill.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
the sleeves seem to have a very constrictive arm hole, is the best way i can describe it, that starts off narrow at the body, then as the sleeve progresses to the cuff it gets wider, also the arm was too short, and the cuff adjuster was very tight, so instead of fiddling about modding all the bits i took the sleeves off. i wanted something like my old sas windproof, i have one of the old over the head types, and this fitted the bill.

Ahhh got you. Seems a bit daft making the arm hole constrictive...

I take it you don't have bingo wings?

Cheers

Liam

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Ahhh got you. Seems a bit daft making the arm hole constrictive...

I take it you don't have bingo wings?

Cheers

Liam

saving the bingo's for my retirement, everyone needs a hobby. i think the small arm holes, are for stopping drafts going up them to your body in the cold climate, they aren't tight, but i just found them odd feeling.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Great job - mums never stop being mums, which is a big bonus in life! Mine is 80 and still knits me "proper" wooly jumpers!

I've
got one of these smocks waiting for SWMBO to go out shopping with the girlies si I can whack it into the washing machine and dye it, made some antler buttons and a logo engraved onto a bit of leather for a badge. This has reinspired me! (Is that a word?)

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I've got one of these smocks waiting for SWMBO to go out shopping with the girlies si I can whack it into the washing machine and dye it

Brilliant!!!

You won't be dyeing trousers to match because we know who'll be wearing them LOL.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE