Moccassin pattern needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Leon's tutorial on this site of the woodlands style is very good

I've made 2 pairs using his pattern and I'm about to start my 3rd - once I finish the other projects that are on the cards first...

Mark

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
One thing to remember with North American Indian style moccasins is best presented by an old quote from the early 1700's. It described the Indian footwear as

" ... a civilized way of going barefoot ..."

But that comment came from a person who grew up with European style hard-soled shoes. But it does hold so true. Your feet need a lot of conditioning to get used to wearing mocs.

The other thing to remember is that they WEAR OUT FAST! You can wear a hole through the bottom in just a few hours walking - depending upon the ground you cover. There are lots of early journal entries where they talk about repairing their mocs every evening! And taking a day off from their travels every few days to a week to make new ones!

Mocs need to be viewed as a ... consumable ... item. They wear out fast, and need to be repaired or replaced often. A great way to get some idea of this would be to walk/run/hike around in your cloth socks. Leather mocs should last a tad longer, but not much in regular use.

They are great out in the woods - once you get used to them. You can "feel" the ground beneath your feet. But most people just don't realize how short of a useful life-span they have.

A book that would help is Crafts Manual of North American Indian Foodwear (I think that's the title). I don't have the book, but all the "experts" tend to refer to it.

Hope this helps.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

leon-1

Mike is very much correct, moccs absolutely hate asphalt, concrete or any other man made surface. I wear moccs every day around the house and when I am in my local woods, but I wait till I get to the woods to put them on just to save the soles.

If you are after a pattern you can get one from Centralia Fur & Hide or Yatahai either will serve you well and will probably have originated from yatahai anyway.

The pattern that Buckshot mentioned is based on Keltoi Moccasyns.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE