Mobile Phone Photography - Flowing Water / Light Rays

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Good Morning Everyone,

a quick question, with the ever expanding world of "mobile phone photography" and the quality of cameras they're now putting in phones, you can really capture some pretty amazing shots. I have been practicing and playing around with it now for a while and I'm seeing some positive results. I take and edit all my photo's on my phone/tablet. I have a Samsung galaxy s7 which is a pretty beasty camera for a phone especially when you get your head around the "pro" mode. I generally edit them on the phone or if I have more time transfer them onto my bigger galaxy tablet (10.2") and edit on there using snapseed, photodirector etc etc.

I'm getting to grips with taking pictures in low light and at night, I have some pretty good pictures of stars and lakes at dusk etc. The one thing that still escapes me is "flowing water" and "light rays" I understand the principle of HOW to get flowing water, use a longer exposure, with a tripod and general you need a ND filter, however I know the Iphone has a few apps that you can use to get pictures of water moving like SlowShutter without filters, but this isn't available on android, does anyone know/use anything similar? I don't want to have to go and buy a load of filters for me phone as the idea is that it's easily portable!

Also, how do you capture rays of light on a phone? if even possible? I mean the pictures where light rays are coming down through clouds onto a landscape, or if you're in the woods and it's coming in through the trees, I'm sure you all know what I mean, it's just no matter what I seem to do I can't quite capture them!

Any third party apps people can recommend would be greatly appreciated, although the pro mode of the S7 really is fantastic, there are still just a few things missing!

Thanks for your help
Kind Regards

Jordan

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Last edited:

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi Peaks, I think that is for Samsung Cameras not Samsung phones, at least my phone doesn't seem to have this mode! :'( which is a shame as that would solve all my problems! haha. It's frustrating because I know a couple of apps that will do exactly what I want but are only available on iphones!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
there's a few SIMILAR apps, but they don't quite do what I need, they just leave the shutter open for longer, which I can do on the phones "pro" mode anyway. I need to be able to adjust the sensitivity to light as well otherwise the whole image gets overexposed and just white washed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE