Mmmm. Toasty warm merino layer!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Hi guys,

I spend lots of my time bushcrafting in the woods, paragliding or shooting. So, I just wanted to tell you about some new layers I've bought for an upcoming shooting trip to subzero Croatia. I've tried all sorts of synthetic base layers in the past and now have a drawer full of smelly clothes, hellie hansen, underarmour, berghaus, north face etc. etc..

None compare to the warm, soft touch of merino wool. So, if any of you are looking for something to keep you warm over the winter then merino is the way to go (forget the fully synthetic stuff). There are lots of companies selling (or claiming to) merino wool. But as with everything, manufacturing is moving over to China to keep costs down blah blah blah. Generally, this then affects quality. But, there is one company out there selling 100% merino wool, made 100% in New Zealand and looking at the other manufacturers, the costs are very comparable and competitive!

I spent yesterday morning in a ditch duck shooting with just a jumper and fleece over the merino - I was warm and snug. We then went straight to a pheasant shoot for some beating. 6 hours standing in a field, trawling through cover and woods... still toasty. However, my feet turned to ice (so I just ordered some of their mountain socks).

The company is called chocolate fish merino. Very helpful, great ethics and truly passionate about their quality products. Give them a look if you want something to keep warm this winter...

Chocolate Fish

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How does the CF stuff compare to Ullfrotte's offerings? I wear their 200g crew top most of the year round, sometimes adding a 400 or 600g if it's cold enough.

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Hi mate,

It seems the Ullfrotte range is not entirely made in Sweden (so some, if not all actually comes from China and their dirty coal-fired power stations). They also blend the merino with 1/3 synthetic (polymide/polyester) to 'bulk' it out (ie. less merino and cheaper to manufacture). The synthetics also trap the bacteria and sweat. The merino used is an average 22micron (compared to chocolate fish 18.5micron base layer and 21micron mid layer).

I'll be honest, the only ullfrotte/woolpower item i've personally used is hat and socks. I can compare it first hand to the chocolate fish socks when they arrive if you like :)

The 190gsm chocfish layer can be used in the summer too, so then you just layer through the colder months.

I just did a quick comparison on price too;

Woolpower Turtleneck Sweater 200g - £69.99
Chcoloate Fish Taranaki 190g - £67.95

And remember, the woolpower stuff is weighted with synthetics and a terry loops that add weight. The chocolate fish top is a tad lighter but packs more, quality merino.

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Second the Chocolate Fish stuff. Mountain-biked the Peddars way recently and was absolutely soaked to the skin, amazingly, still warm core wearing a Chocolate Fish short-sleeved top under my leaking Gore-tex jacket. Dried out pretty quick when the sun came out later in the day , with absolutely no odour. I have a few Merino tops and the Chocolate Fish ones ( I have a short sleeve and a long sleeve) feel softer, better quality etc. I bought some Chocolate Fish socks which wore out very quickly, wouldn't bother with them again, but their tops and boxers are great. I have an ulfrotte sipped crew neck, whilst feels nice, its not as versatile. The CF tops look like normal t-shirts, can be worn all year around, with outdoor kit or with jeans.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is the CF gear thinner, more like IceBreaker etc, I like the terry knit of the Ullfrotte gear.

CF are only five minutes up the road from me so I guess I need to go and check them out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE