Mmmm campfire twists

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
I got the firepit out on Sunday to burn the mould off the grate :rolleyes: and thought I'd re-kindle an old cubs fave of mine - The campfire twister.

Out came the flour, sugar and water, knocked up the dough and sat happy as a pig in poop in my garden. The wife took the micky until she tried a bit with jam on and soon took it back.

Brought back memories of years gone by at cub camp singing songs :D

10042011906.jpg

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Leo, if they are anything like the Dampers & twists I do with my Explorer Scouts, 3 parts water to ten parts self raising flours with a pinch of salt.

Or just grab a load of flour, and add water and mix, adding water untill you get a nice dough.

Simples! A Scouting classic!

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Sorry to say it but I'm a hater of dough twists, we do them at Scout camp cooking evenings and I think they're vile. The Scouts all think they're great mind you.......each to their own eh?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks tasty....especially with jam :)

You can make a very good savoury one too :approve:
Basic flour mix and make a flat sausage shape, put in a line of tomato puree out of a tube and thinly shave some good cheddar along the top. Fold in and pinch the sides and wrap around the stick so that the seam is against the stick. Toast as before.
I like mine with a grind or two of the pizza herbs with seasalt too. I've made them with slivers of salami included in the strip as well for a conviction carnivore :) he loved them. Just don't make the filling heavy and the dough will hold it together fine.

Mind that the tomato lining can stay very hot, great for adults but needs care when made for children.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks for the info guys. Did this with my seven year old daughter on Saturday and she loved it! Bit of butter and jam... cream tea... almost!

Izzy was talking very loudly so that the neighbours could hear, 'we're eating stick bread, YUM, WERE EATING STICK BREAD'!

Can't wait to try Toddy's savoury version.

Leo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE