Mk 2 flat pack wood stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
Some of you may remember I designed and built a wood stove that packs flat last year, here’s the link to that thread. Anyway although it worked, it was a "bit" rough and there was a few things needing tweaking. A member here kindly offered to laser cut me one, when I had finished the design and this is the result;

This one again is made completely from stainless, 1 mm rather than the mishmash of the previous one, I think that helped with the thermal expansion problems I had with the first one, created some new ones though :rolleyes:

Its 6" wide by 8" deep and 5" tall inside the firebox.

The photos were taken at the Comriecroft meet in Perthshire a couple of weekends ago.

Here it is in its 2 guises, first for cooking
CIMG0007.jpg

CIMG0008.jpg

CIMG0009.jpg

There’s a set of fold up feet for it too, but I didn’t have time to fit them

2nd for heating
CIMG0010.jpg

Take a good look, its never going to look this shiny again :D

The reason for the drain like cut outs on the top plate is because, the original had a solid top and it took quite a while to heat up, especially if you wanted to do a fry up, this one had no problems, with that, I cooked the (my) usual bushcrafter breakfast, full fry up, but it could also simmer pasta, and on Saturday night I simmered a haggis for an hour on it, no problem, I did cheat a little however, I used coal, you just have to have a good bed of embers and make sure you keep the ash pan clear to allow a decent draw.

The little plates on top of the chimney were for a quick boil (have a look at the videos on the first one, the flames were shooting out at least a foot), but the spread was too small, I'll have to rethink that one.

The first burn
CIMG0012.jpg

CIMG0013.jpg

CIMG0015.jpg

You can see in this picture that the top plate warped with the heat, it didn’t cause a problem, and more importantly, it came apart very easily when it was time to pack up, Since then I've taken it apart hot and cold, also switched from cooking to heating set up, with the fire box packed full of burning wood.

There’s still a few things I'm not happy with, and I think Spoony is going to give it a review, as he had one out with him a couple of weekends ago.

Stephen

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
That is one good looking stove. Do you make a pipe for it to use in a tent what is the overall weight. I have an old Alaskan packer model but need to replace it. Have you got a ballpark figure on the price
Thanks

Gailainne

Life Member
Thank you for the kind comments;

It weighs btw 1.3 kg without the chinmey, 1.6 kg with the chimney, and the heater convertion is an additional 0.4 kg, so its not light weight. Again this is for base or car camping, or if you employ sherpas :D

I have an idea for adding a chimney, but I dont have the right material on hand atm.

transitionModel1.jpg

Using some transition software, we'll see how that goes.

Stephen

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Did you use autocad for that transition ? I have been trying to 'flat pattern' Inventor models for ages. We still teach transitions on drawing boards at school, although we teach 3D CAD as well. Pity I don't have access to a laser engraver since I could knock out some patterns.

Nick

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks great Stephen. Like the way you feed wood in, and the fact its a heater too.

Gailainne

Life Member
Did you use autocad for that transition ? I have been trying to 'flat pattern' Inventor models for ages. We still teach transitions on drawing boards at school, although we teach 3D CAD as well. Pity I don't have access to a laser engraver since I could knock out some patterns.

Nick

Theres a website that does it automatically for you, creates a dxf file as well, I'll find the link for you if you like ?

I remember doing transitions for air ducting, "old school" on a drawing board with a pencil as an engineering apprentice, more years ago than I care to remember.

If you look at the design here you should be able to work it out, its actually quite simple when you look at it, the true lengths would be the hard bit. :D

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE