Mitsubishi Delica

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
OK we've been out today looking at 4X4's and to be honest...Most of the landies we've seen (for 4 to 5 grand) are gash !! However we did stumble on an odd little Jap import called a Mitsubishi Delica. 4x4 MPV based on a Shogun. 2.5 turbo diesel, aircon 7 seats, hot/cold box etc. They look cool, but has anyone had any dealings with em.?? See piccy below.
Delica.jpg

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Made in Japan means huge repair bills.
I have had a Shogun and a Trooper, I saw the light and bought a 110 TD eight years ago and have never looked back. :-D

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Japanese vehicles have a solid engines and running gear but reliability in other areas can be a let down. That said, nothing is 100% reliable.

However, when things go wrong be prepared for big bills!

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
Hi Mad Dave,
we have had our Mitsubishi Delica for just over 18 months now. It is brilliant, easy to drive and manouverable. Been off road a few times in it, mainly mud filled tractor tracks and very long very wet grass banks. No worries at all, didnt even need to use low range on the box. They only do about 85-90 mph flat out and take a while to get from 70 to 85. Very quick and nippy around town and the like. The rear seats fold up to give large boot space. The captains chairs will lay flat along with the rear bench seat to make a "double bed". You can spend ages re-arranging the insides to suit. We carry a small stove in ours for tea making. Most consumable spares can be had from a company called Millner Off Road. They are good to deal with and cheap. Air, oil & fuel filter, cam belt and balance belt £40 Front brake pads £20 prices include delivery.
Dont know what else to say, oh does about 30 to the gallon, less if you cane it. Brilliant wagon IMHO, I would only sell it to buy a newer one.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
hi dave they are very popular here in guernsey there is about 50 or so here which is not bad for a small island

Mar 2, 2004
i,d get one!
the guy who lives above me has had one for ages and its never let him down.as a tradesman i think it would suit me for business AND pleasure.i used to go everywhere in my toyota hi ace.those vans go on forever,plus i could get a double matress in the back for the three of us when i took my kids.the big flash 4x4s are ok if your genuinly going off road and not just showing off your material wealth but in my opinion a van with windows is the way to go.
think accomodation.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
We use ours for both work and fun. The only problem we have had was the battery dying last winter, but as ours came straight from Japan , it was probably the original battery so no big deal. Another point is they are usually immaculate underneath as they have not been subjected to tears of British winters anc corosive road salt.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i was looking at one of these a while ago, please tell me the seats folded down into beds are so uncomfortable as to be barely useable :shock:

it seems that you're not allowed to transport scouts in seats that don't face forward, which sort of makes a 12 seat landy redundant.

cheers, and.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Sargey. I've been on the Delica Owners Club forum and they say they're really comfy to sleep on. Not bad off road by all accounts either. I'm a mobile DJ too and do a lot of Motorcycle rallies and the like. It'll be great to get me gear up some of these farm tracks. Plus, if it's a 2 day rally, I can get me head down in the Deli...Bonus !! :-D

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
Mad Dave, I see you are thinking along the same lines I was when we purchased ours. I run around doing laser shows, often at large festivals with all the mud they entail. I knew 4WD wouldnt be used all the time, but damn handy when you need it. We also use the wagon as a rest room, turn the middle seats around and slide them towards the front, slide the rear seats back and you have a cozy little place to sit and drink beer. When it gets late (or you run out of beer) lay the seats flat and get your head down. If you do get one, you will not be dissapointed.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
Hello Keith. They are also available in left hand drive :) . Although they are rare. Bullbars are standard - ideal for Paris rush hour :-D

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Strange looking beast - I must admit.

Although i am a Landy man, my other motor is an L200 Double-Cab (company vehicle). Cant really fault anything other than the turning circle - although main dealer repairs have been pretty expensive (and I did have to get it chipped up for a few more horses). Off road (ahem) it does better than expected, other than being a bit long it was fine round an off road course designed for teaching.

At the end of the day, if it suits your purpose, go for it. If not, hold out and have your cash ready for that dream Landy :wink: just be prepared to travel and pounce on it when it turns up in the auto-trader website at the other end of the country.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Rob said:
Cant really fault anything other than the turning circle

What, worse than a Landy! :shock: With a 50 foot turning circle on our Stage 1 I find that hard to believe!

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Hi Dave
DSCI0036.JPG

Paid 3 grand for this in July 03. For 5 grand you should be able to get a good un. Just have to keep looking. Stay clear of Jap C :***: p. :-D :-D :twisted:
Check out the Cool Dude on top.

T

Tumper

Martin, I've heard of high altitude camping, but that's just taking the p*ss... :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE