Missing bites.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevied

Dec 15, 2010
East Riding
I've been fly fishing for about 4 years on and off and have suddenly developed a bad habit. I keep missing bites. These aren't tiny little bites but proper, bend in the tip bites. I'm not sure why but I don't seem to be striking fast enough or sure enough.

Has anyone else had this and how did you remedy it?

Thanks, Steve.

stevied

Dec 15, 2010
East Riding
Thanks for the replies, could be the hooks but some were new? No chance of leaving the whiskey, it's a staple here! lol

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
In my experiance evennew hooks can be dull (ngt I am looking at you) give them a sharpen and if they are barbed eith crush them down a bit or totally crush them some start two far up the point or are too large in the first place for the size wire used Lots of hook patterns suffer from poor finishing too even from thebig makers.

stevied

Dec 15, 2010
East Riding
Thanks for that, I'll try sharpening them up and see how it goes. I'm not too fussed about keeping the barbs so they can go too.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
If I get a chance I will put together a guide on good and bad hooks how to judge them etc, I have found a depressing new trend though bulk made cheep chineese hooks (of craptastic quality) being sold a reputable reliable brands with good quality control.

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
I've been fly fishing for about 4 years on and off and have suddenly developed a bad habit. I keep missing bites. These aren't tiny little bites but proper, bend in the tip bites. I'm not sure why but I don't seem to be striking fast enough or sure enough.

Has anyone else had this and how did you remedy it?

Thanks, Steve.

I used to assume when I was missing fish it was because I was striking too slow but in fact found out it was the opposite. As soon as I started leaving a very small pause between seeing/feeling the fish take the fly and then striking I found that I was hooking a lot more fish. Maybe trying to strike with lightening speed is causing you the same problem?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE