minimal kit

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hi all

As I'm in a state of reducing my kit as much as can, I would like to see what the minimum kit anybody have tried to use during, let's say a three day outing.

This weekend I will try
*tarp (also makeshift poncho)
*bedroll and blanket
*pot (diy billy)
*knife
*firesteel
*food (some bread, smoked meat, some spices, and some dried veggies)
*pretty ordinary clothes
*binocular (ok, a bit unnecessary)
*some tracking stuff and a small basket for foraging
*compass and a map, pace counting beads

what is the bare minimum you've tried? what would the next stage be? Reducing fire steel to a leather cord for friction fire? Maybe excluding the pot and just use birch bark vessels? Hmm not sure about that. Ideas and experiences welcome!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
You could lose the small basket and make one out of large leaves... Burdock leaves for example make an excellent container for foraging.

You've missed out water or a means of making water safe too (you could boil it I suppose but you may need to filter it).

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Minimal kit for a 3 day outing earlier this year:

33ltr rucksack
Poncho
Sleeping bag
Bivi bag
Metal mug + 3 x 6" nails
Hexi bocks
2 lighters in tinder pouch
Food (Similar to Big Swede, & brew pack)
2 x 1ltr Waterbottles & PreMac Filter
SAK & FAK
Clothing (Lightweight trews, base layer, long sleave shirt, windproof shirt & thick wool socks).
Good walking boots
1 sp pair of wool socks and shorts
Wool hat
Map & compass.
Whistle & sp compass.
2 x led keyrings.
Hygyne kit and small travel towel.

I was walking most of the time and wanted to keep things light, but by the end of the three days I knew I had to go lighter.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Did you take a roll mat or other to sleep on?

My biggest problem is that my sleep kit, eg bag/hammock/mat takes up about about 25 litres and weighs about 4 kg total

that's quite a lot!

my other problem is that a small bag/pack tends to have a narrowish main compartment and so deforms when you put in a round object, like a sleeping bag in stuff sack - any one else have that problem?

i really don't think i'd be able to trim down to a pack less than about 35 litres!

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
No sleeping mat. Too bulky. I used ferns and bracken one night and the next night about a bale of dried grass. Comfy and warm both nights.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
You could lose the small basket and make one out of large leaves... Burdock leaves for example make an excellent container for foraging.

You've missed out water or a means of making water safe too (you could boil it I suppose but you may need to filter it).

Yeah, basket is just luxury really..

And about the water, I do carry a pet bottle. But the only way I prepare it is by boiling, or a makeshift filter (stones, white moss, charcoal). The quality of the water here is so high that it only takes 5 minutes of boiling. Usually I don't even boil it, never had a problem so far. So long as you use running water or from a lake it's ok.

benp1 said:
Did you take a roll mat or other to sleep on?

No, as I said, I use a bed roll with a woolen blanket. It has a compartment for filling with straw or, as in my case, spruce boughs (yeah yeah, not so minimal impact, I know. But fact remains, there is very few people who do these things so at the end of the day, it's ok in my book). It's bulkier than a sleepingbag+bivvy but far more satisfying to sleep in. (I made it myself, maybe I'll post the pattern and some piccies after ths weekend). My biggest problem is that the rest of my kit is of such small volume that the bed roll, which doesn't fit in my ruck, has to be on the outside, making the ruck a bit cumbersome to carry, thinking of a haversack or lumbar pack maybe. But then my trapetzoids would take up too much of the weight, hmm, maybe I should just carry a blanket roll?

I tried the whole hammock thing, but didn't like it, I'm better off with just the tarp I think.

benp1 said:
my other problem is that a small bag/pack tends to have a narrowish main compartment and so deforms when you put in a round object, like a sleeping bag in stuff sack - any one else have that problem?

My opinion is that sleeping bag stuff sacks are of pretty lousy design. They should compress on the length instead of just making the whole thing round. Try to make one yourself that will compress to slimmer shape?

benp1 said:
i really don't think i'd be able to trim down to a pack less than about 35litres!

Do you really need the roll mat? That would be at least 5 liters, wouldn't it?

EDIT: my 250th post making me a nomad? Does that mean I have to let go of my apartment and sell up? :D

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Sleeping bag? It depend on the time of year. At the moment I'm using a military issue, warm weather bag and liner. In the colder weather, I might use a Nanok -10 without the stuff sack. I can compress it down quite well in the Highlander 33ltr.

The sleep system does take up much of the rucksack, but if I'm walking I don't take a great deal of other bulk with me.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
My biggest problem is that the rest of my kit is of such small volume that the bed roll, which doesn't fit in my ruck, has to be on the outside,

My opinion is that sleeping bag stuff sacks are of pretty lousy design. They should compress on the length instead of just making the whole thing round. Try to make one yourself that will compress to slimmer shape?

Do you really need the roll mat? That would be at least 5 liters, wouldn't it?

I like to have all my kit in my rucksack. My rucksack doesn't have any sidepockets so it makes it a big more hassle to get little bits of kit in, i tend to put them in stuff sacks etc.

No way I can change the shape, not skilled enough. Its fine in the bag I have but would struggle in a small bag

I definitely need the roll mat, can't work out a way not to have it. Keeps me warm and comfy. Definitely need it in the hammock and in the tent i'd prefer to have it for the warmth. For the weight its worth it, just having to pack it is the issue. I've already converted from a roll mat to an inflating mat as it means I can keep everything inside my pack.

Short of investing in high tech kit, like a down bag, I think I'm going to struggle to thin down!

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk

Try the Exped compression sacks here (3/4 way down the page). They do a version that compresses sideways. And they're waterproof.

Do you need both the tarp and poncho? A bivvi bag might do if the weather looks as though it's going to be clear (or no bivvi bag at all). Just the poncho can be rigged if it looks like rain.

Pablo.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Try the Exped compression sacks here (3/4 way down the page). They do a version that compresses sideways. And they're waterproof.

Do you need both the tarp and poncho? A bivvi bag might do if the weather looks as though it's going to be clear (or no bivvi bag at all). Just the poncho can be rigged if it looks like rain.

Pablo.

No, the tarp is kind of diamond shaped with a opening for a head (kind of watertight) that enables it to be used as a poncho. And since the canvas in my bed roll is thoroughly impregnated I don't need a bivvy.

And I wouldn't pay for a compression sack, it's very easy to make yourself. Although that design looks pretty good. Exped stuf is usually top notch.

Thanks for the input anyway. What's the bare minimum you've used pablo?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This season, I`ll be mostly wearing .....

KHAKI !!

Airjet 45ltr pack
Thermarest 3/4
Tarp & issue Goretex Bivi bag
Vango 2 season bag
Cheap ripstop nylon hammock (still going strong after 3 years)
Change of base layer / socks for each day
Food - Readybrek, Stag chilli in a boilabag & bulgar wheat. Homemade curries/ stews etc
Billycan , lid/plate & mug
Ortleib water carrier
Knife, saw & firesteel
LED headtorch & spare batteries
Baccy, cig papers & zippo
Brandy in a hipflask
Brew kit

Rich

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I'll join you - where are we off to?

My first option would be siberia, but since that's a bit risky, what about canada? 3.2 inhibitants per square kilometer, that's 17 less then here, and 245 less then uk..

According to Mors, a family of 4 needs 20 elks per year, so we would be alright by 10 or so.. :D And the odd fish here and there.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
What's the bare minimum you've used pablo?

At the start of the summer I went out with just a bivvi bag, blanket, billy can, precooked food and water. It was all wrapped up in the bivvi bag like a long tube that I put round my shoulders like they did in the American civil war. The weather was very warm and no sign of rain. Even though I tucked half the blanket under me (I didn't take the thermarest or mat), it was still uncomfortable. I don't think I'd do it again.

I usually I take a small tarp and hammock, sleeping bag and thermarest.

Cheers

Pablo.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Try putting a couple of bin bags in that kit. Throw a bunch of leaf mould into them and they will make a good mattress.

Big Swede, your problem with the sleeping roll could be solved by using something similar to the Swedish medics pack, I'm sure you know the one. You could then strap the bed roll to the frame under the bag and should be pretty comfy. Not sure on the weight issue, but it's one to investigate.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Big Swede, your problem with the sleeping roll could be solved by using something similar to the Swedish medics pack, I'm sure you know the one. You could then strap the bed roll to the frame under the bag and should be pretty comfy. Not sure on the weight issue, but it's one to investigate.

That's true! Will go to a surplus store tomorrow me thinks.. But it's rather bulky though, I have a couple of old frame packs in the basement, will dig em out and experiment..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE