Mini Lathe for beginner

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I live in a flat and dont have the luxury of a workshop, im looking for a small lathe just for turning out handles. Can anyone recommend a small lathe. Ive seen the Mantua ones at around £80 -£120.

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
i've seen that man in marrakech in flesh and bones,and he is impressive,a few tools, some foot,and make it look easy!

i can see (with repect though) the differrence with english man,several tools,not that ease of the other man,and maybe because being barefoot is not usual out there many of the time!
but good to see too! i still don't know what a spurtle is! some kind of spurting turtle?
i 'm gonna review that with sound shut to ear so lonely in the same time!

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I vote for the old Black and Decker drill lathe, seen lots of them about. Mine was 15 quid brand new in the box from a normally expensve charity shop in Bolton.

LatheReady.jpg

If you know you will only be using it for small items the base is easily hacksawed down to what ever size is conveniant for storage. I bolted mine to a bit of floorboard which makes it easy to clamp to the work bench.

The drill was £1 on a carboot and a 2 speed version is available.

Incidentally old beech rolling pins are pennies on most boots and great for learning on and the woods normally great stuff. I did this handle for a old huge fencing chisel from half of one.

OldChisel01.jpg

ATB

Tom

PS ordered some economy chissels from a place in Sheffield that made 'em and either they cocked up or were realy feeling nice as they sent me a much better set for the same money!

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I wanted one so i made one, cost me 40p, does what i want, it's a bit heath robinson, but it works and that's all that matters, ive made tool handles, spurtles, spinning tops, spoon blanks, garden dibbers plus a few other things on it, works a treat.

aaDscf7548.jpg

It's been modded a bit since this pic was taken and works on a bungee system rather than a spring pole, more info on my blog

http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2010/10/hand-powered-lathe.html

http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2010/10/hand-lathe-update.html

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Kepis, that is ingenious! I love the idea of combining a shave horse and lathe in a tidy package. I might have to have a go replicating it.
Cheers

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys, it works well for small simple items and it's not as knackering to use as you might think

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello made me a bow lathe last weekend and thought I show it here for some inspiration and getting some tips. More or less a shameless copy of the Moroccan Bow Lathe linked above. The test piece is bone dry birch. Maximum diameter is 19 cm and maximum length of a piece is 73 cm. The toolrest is moveable also. The only thing I'm lacking now is the skill :D.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE