Mini Kuska & spoon (5 images)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys , I just thought i would share these with you all.
the mini kuska is made from a silver birch burl small one I got during a while back, the spoon is oak. I also thought I would throw in a pic of a small container you saw the big one, I made a matching smaller one :)
DSCF4662.jpg

DSCF4660.jpg

DSCF4659.jpg

DSCF4657.jpg

DSCF4658.jpg

on another note if anyone has some antler they wouldn't mind parting with (cash or trade ) largish pieces I would be happy to hear from them :)
all the best
John

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Lovely work there....Is it safe to work on a birch burl, green, or do you let it dry out first, to reduce the risk of it cracking....

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
very nice i would love to have a go at one of those but i think i will carve a few more spoons first
leon

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Nice one!

I love the spalting - it makes it look like a map of some mystical place. :D

Now, I do have a decent sized bit of antler but I'm tempted to steal your idea as it's superb!

woodwalker said:
Lovely - really love the spalting on the back of that kuksa. Excellent choice of wood. Was it carved green or seasoned?

woodwalker
This one has been part seasoned , I had a look at it and the wood had shrunk away from the bark a bit so I went for it , its been in my shed about 6 months I would say.

very nice i would love to have a go at one of those but i think i will carve a few more spoons first
leon
I think the Kuska was easier to do than the spoon really its bigger and easy to hold, that one sits in the palm of my hand , I don't have a spoon knife either I used a wood chisel.

Now, I do have a decent sized bit of antler but I'm tempted to steal your idea as it's superb!
Stew your welcome to copy the thing to make yourself one , they are really nice things to own and if you have the right piece of Antler go for it :) . I had the big bit for ages it was going to be for a knife handle but I don't really make great big knifes and the marrow bit was a bit to porous , one poke at the end led to another and it became hollow :)
Thanks for the comments guys I will be out looking for bigger burls soon so I can make a full size one
all the best
John

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Singeblister said:
Stew your welcome to copy the thing to make yourself one , they are really nice things to own and if you have the right piece of Antler go for it :) . I had the big bit for ages it was going to be for a knife handle but I don't really make great big knifes and the marrow bit was a bit to porous , one poke at the end led to another and it became hollow :)

Thanks.

I had a look at it earlier. I'm trying to decide if it's too long and if I cut it in half will they be too short! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE