Mini hawk mod

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi all, I picked up a cold steel trail hawk last week as they seem pretty popular and I fancied something a bit different.

Out the box both the head and handle we're well made and good quality but the edge was pretty poor and the handle needed a bit of a sand.
I didn't really like the thick paint coating either to decided to have a play and see if I couldn't make it a bit more to my liking.

Basically I stripped off the nasty paint job and have it a gun blue finish, gave the edge a good sharpening and sanded down the handle and gave it a coat of linseed oil, hope you like it.

avuqajud.jpg

ybujuvur.jpg

ehyne7y3.jpg

ryvumuza.jpg

a3yry7yg.jpg

ze6a2yse.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I really like the way it turned out and still have half a bottle of blue left so might try it out on something else.

Not sure how well the blue will hold up after use but if nothing else it will leave a nice patina, be warned its not the most pleasant of smells good thing swmbo was away this weekend! :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I know the stuff stinks, I reblued an old webley air pistol last year, and it held up really well.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I like that a lot. Was toying with getting one and seeing this I now know how I'm modding it, I'll copy you :)

Thanks Albus high praise indeed.

Not had a chance to get out and play with it yet but it seems quite versatile for a small head and I expect it will be more of a back up/novelty to try throwing.

Aside from the curing time for the blue and paint stripper etc... the whole thing took about an hour.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
So have to copy it. Hmm throwing. Now that could be a lot of fun :)

Thanks Albus high praise indeed.

Not had a chance to get out and play with it yet but it seems quite versatile for a small head and I expect it will be more of a back up/novelty to try throwing.

Aside from the curing time for the blue and paint stripper etc... the whole thing took about an hour.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I also watched a video on utube showing how to turn it into an impromptu adze (can't find the link) at the mo but looks promising.

I'm also toying with the idea of just taking the head an whittling a handle in site at some point, properly weight saving that way!

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I like the blued finish. One thing that is worth doing is to blunt the edge around the eye, top and bottom, this is really square and sharp from the factory. This will stop it from chiselling a step into your handle.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I like the blued finish. One thing that is worth doing is to blunt the edge around the eye, top and bottom, this is really square and sharp from the factory. This will stop it from chiselling a step into your handle.

One step ahead of you though in the spirit of honesty I saw that in another hawk modding article and figured it made good sense, it seems to make it fit a lot better and easier too.
I got rid of the annoying grub screw that comes with it too, I figure its designed to be a friction fit head and u can't take it down when out and about unless you have an Allen key to hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE