Mini gas lantern quick review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm sure most of us have been through the different types of stoves on the market; gas, alcohol (various makes), multi-fuel and so on. Well in my case I ended up going full circle and returning to the gas stove that I bought quite a few years ago. This was largely due to the fact that I needed (for various reasons) the speed and cleanness of a gas stove system. However, last year with the nights lengthening during the autumn, I got tired of eating and otherwise living with the cold light of LED headlamps and torches and was looking around for something else. I didn't want the extra weight of a pressure lamp and as attractive as the UCO candle lantern is, I didn't think it was going to give out enough light. I searched around for a bit for gas lanterns and came across the GoSystem GS2113 minilte.

IMG_2846.JPG

Here are the basic specs:
Weight: 102g (although mine weighed in a bit lighter)
Weight with plastic carry case: 139g
Light output: up to 50W
Burn time: either 3hr45 or 7hr50 depending on whether you believe the manufacturers website or the box (the box datum seems more reliable)
Compatible with: Threaded Butane:propane and Butane:propane:Isopropane catridges.
Manufacturer's RRP: £25

In use it is very easy to handle. Screw it on the canister, open the valve and light but before first use the mantle has to be prepared. This is also pretty straightforward - just light the mantle (without gas flowing) and wait for it to smoulder, char and then go out. The white filament that remains is the mantle ready for use.

The lantern is supplied with a spare mantle and I'd guess that it would be pretty easy to replace and prepare in the field, although to date I have not had to do this. I don't know how long a mantle will last, nor how robust it is. I treat my kit with care so I haven't, as yet, had to replace it.

As for light output - it's pretty good. It is the lightest lantern in their range and really intended for solo and I wouldn't expect that it would be useful for a group, but for a solo traveller it's fine. The light output is variable so it can be turned down when full illumination is not needed without the need to fully extinguish it.

The only downside to using both a gas stove and a gas lantern is that unless you carry two cartridges you can only use one or the other at any given time ... and you need to wait for them to cool down before swapping them. It works fine if you get a routine though - boil water and make hot drink in an insulated mug, get dinner cooked, get the lamp on, eat dinner and relax with the hot drink.

Here's a video showing the light output and its adjustability. The wind was quite strong and gusty, but the lamp still lit first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8BrjESxBv4

As for the price? £25 - it's up to you if you think it's worth it. I got it from Ebay much cheaper and if I had to replace it, I'm not sure I'd shell out the RRP.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have a similar gas-cartridge mantle lantern but I have found that you have to carry spare mantles as they are so delicate once prepared. I have frequently found that an intact mantle has broken, even over short journeys, and despite using the supplied carrying pouch/box.

This also means that you have to ensure that you prep the lantern before dark, which may not always be practical. Once set up, though, these give great light.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I would like to try these in one respect as for winter wild camping they would also provide a degree of warmth. But the issues with mantles puts me off a bit. I have just got a UCO tea light lantern and some long life tea lights but as you say Hedge its not a massive amount of light. Candles are great for Ambience and a tiny bit of warmth but the gas lantern is going to give better light and warmth. Them again i might just stick with the old zipka!!

Nice review though.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Very nice review. I've used one similar for years and they do give off valuable heat in winter. Know what you mean about the mantles, but hey, its part of the fun, isn't it? :)

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
i have the coleman version of this, they are a good bit of kit. i've been using mine for a couple of years now and not needed to replace the mantle on min as yet.

steve

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I have the same one, with lots of use and only had to change the mantel once... never really been an issue with me. Would I replace like for like if lost? Yes!

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Purely by chance, I'd gotten one the same time as hedgepig from Amazon for £17 delivered.

Despite the instructions saying it uses any EN417 cartridge I tried it with a nearly expended industrial cartridge for a blowtorch which work but not well as it was more or less empty. I've now tried it with another brand industrial cartridge and a coleman gas camping cartridge but CANNOT get any gas out. Both cartridges work with an MSR stove.

What cartridges have people successfully used so far?

Widu13 - I've used the coleman cartridges (and GoSystem cartirdges) without and problems. Two suggestions that might help:
1. Make sure the locking ring is screwed up (i.e. towards towards the lantern and away from the camister) as possible so that it doesn't impede a tight seal between lantern and cartridge.
2. Try screwing the lantern into the canister with an extra eighth or quarter turn - this sometimes makes the difference between gas and no gas for me on my lantern and my pocket rocket.

Maybe a problem with the lantern itself then? I've just had a look at mine and can't see any reason why the bit of metal that presses into the self seal valve wouldn't be doing its job, so maybe the valve on the lantern itself? Don't know what else to suggest mate - like I said, mine has work with a coleman cartridge while your's hasn't. :dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE