mini bow saw?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
They don't have too much of a belly on them and it would actually be awkward to carry in comparison to a laplander or silky IMHO.

Nov 7, 2008
U.K
ello, mate

take a look at this one made by bcb

This full size hacksaw folds into its own strong tubular aluminium frame. Compact in design. Supplied with:

* Wood saw blade
* Metal hacksaw blade
* Wire saw
* Weight: 200g (7oz)
* Folds to 32 x 2.3cm diameter handle

instead of buying them for £7 or £8 i can sell you my still new one for £5 that's including postage just shoot me a p.m and i can help you out and send you a picture http://webshop.bcbin.eu/index.php?productID=1083 here's a link to there site and here's a review of one http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lqR10rGO-qo&feature=PlayList&p=9A150B8E6640F12F&index=0

regards Jordan,the bushcraft lad

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Why not make yourself a bucksaw, much better all round, packs down nice and small as well

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
ello, mate

This full size hacksaw folds into its own strong tubular aluminium frame. Compact in design. Supplied with:

* Wood saw blade
* Metal hacksaw blade
* Wire saw

instead of buying them for £7 or £8 i can sell you my still new one for £5 that's including postage just shoot me a p.m and i can help you out and send you a picture http://webshop.bcbin.eu/index.php?productID=1083 here's a link to there site and here's a review of one http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lqR10rGO-qo&feature=PlayList&p=9A150B8E6640F12F&index=0

thanks for the offer but i cant imagen you would be able to get enough tention on the blades just by screwing a tiney knob:confused: also surely the aluminium wouldn't be able to cope with the same amount of tention as a normal bowsaw?

pete

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I've got a 12" bow saw like the one in the link and I find it easier to use than my folding saw (a Wilkinson Sword) - fits inside my small rucksack, small and light and very reliable. I would recommend to anyone.

Dom.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
I've got a 12" bow saw like the one in the link and I find it easier to use than my folding saw (a Wilkinson Sword) - fits inside my small rucksack, small and light and very reliable. I would recommend to anyone.

Dom.

would you say its better for cutting bigger logs than a folding saw?
also are the blades easily avalable in that size, in B&Q etc?

cheres
pete

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I would say that a folding saw is difficult to use on big (define big?) logs too, and the 12" bow saw is certainly no harder, possibly a little easier. Replacement blades are not available very commonly, but i have a watch on a repeat listing for a supplier on ebay that does them for about a pound or two.

Dom.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Size capability probably similar then - the 12" bow saw will cut 5" diameter but obviously with quite a short stroke length (as with the folding saw). I would say the bow saw has the edge (forgive the pun) because (1) the blade is held rigid and there is less chance of flexing and (2) it cuts in both directions rather than just the pull. The folding saw would win on compact size and easy storage, however. Horses for courses I guess. I have both but am currently leaning towards the bow saw, thinking that the slightly bigger size is well worth it.

Dom.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think if you are going to carry a bow saw, you may as well carry a big one.

I am in the process of moding some aluminium to act as a frame.
(I know I say this a lot but have made list am going to work down it)

If you think about it a traditional bow saw is basically 6 parts: -

1. Blade
2 Left Side
3.Right side
4. Center Bar
5. Tentioning string.
6. Tentioning bar

What I am thinking of doing, is taking a 24" blade, having the side pieces cut out so they form a blade guard, open them out, put in center bar, clip string to either side, and tention. Could be done with any size blade, but remember clearence.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I think if you are going to carry a bow saw, you may as well carry a big one.

From a practical point of view I absolutely agree, but unless you have a very large rucksack, it means strapping it on the outside, which I've tried, but don't like.

A folding bucksaw is a very good solution to the large saw option, though :approve:

I have toyed with the idea of making one myself.... but you know how it is - so many cunning plans, so little time!

Dom.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
ello, mate

* Wood saw blade
* Metal hacksaw blade
* Wire saw

I've had one of these since before BCB took over. It certainly works, I used it for years to cut OPs and branches away from masts and it never failed me. Plus it packs into its own small tube which I carried in the back of my bergen tucked into a corner near the seam. Worked for me anyway and I still use it now! :D

Buntybunny

Nov 24, 2008
Suffolk
Hi, have you considered a pruning saw? I have several and find them very useful - the folding type!
Cheers. B

Sorry forgot the title :0)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Why not get or make something along the lines of this

4789.jpg

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/d...erb=Saw Duluth Folding Saw M-482&filterc=4789

ok it's not cheap, but it takes standard sized blades, i carry two, a green wood blade and a dead wood blade which store in the saw when folded, it's light and it packs away small, i think there was a review this saw on SOTP some time ago.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Hi, have you considered a pruning saw? I have several and find them very useful - the folding type!
Cheers. B

Sorry forgot the title :0)

i have a bahco laplander which i use for bushcraft but i also have a silky natanoko sheath saw for work. the natanoko has a 33cm which makes the 18cm laplander look tiny! the problem with this type of saw is that if u push too hard and the blade gets snagged it will bend and posably snap and the longer the blade the more easily this happens, this isn't reely a problem for pruning trees because u rarely cutting stuf bigger than 1 or 2 inches wide which it will go through with only a cupple of strokes. when cutting larger stuf it takes many more strokes and you dont want to worry about gently pushing the blade. bow saws hold the blade tort so u can push as agressivly as you like without worrying and cut in both directions.
am i making any sence? lol
also spare blades are alot cheeper, blades for my silky costs around £25-30 each:eek: which is the main reason for not using it in bushcraft

pete

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
You might want to consider one of these Wyoming knife packable camp/meat bow saws.

www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm (I have no commercial relationship with these folks)

I've been using one for years for deer/elk camp and they are quite remarkable. They come with both meat and wood blades and break down to a very comfortable pack size for hiking/hunting.

Be safe,

NJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE