Mineral Oil

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I've heard mineral oil being recommended for all kinds of oiling duties, but I've no idea where to get it. Any ideas?

It'll be for keeping our new (kitchen) chopping board healthy. If mineral oil turns out to be impossible to get hold of I suppose I could go with something like Tung oil, but that's not cheap.

Thanks,

Mark

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Mark,
Though I'm not an expert on the subject, to my memory mineral oils are used for lubricating engines and should be kept well away from any food contact.
I would have thought some or any of the vegedible oils would be a lot better for you and the chopping board.

I'm willing to be shown the error of my ways though!

Ogri the trog

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Cheers Skanker. That gives me hope - although that does mean a trip to Ikea at some point, which is never pleasant IMO.

Ogri, I think it's ok for food use. I've seen it recommended for chopping boards, and Wikipedia seems to suggest it's ok (used for all kinds of things including baby oil and, interestingly enough, as a laxative).

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
mark a. said:
Ogri, I think it's ok for food use..... interestingly enough, as a laxative).

OK cool,
But how do you know if its some dodgy food or the a laxative effect giving you the "Abbu Dabi two step!" :eek:

ATB

Ogri the trog

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I thought the same as Ogri, three main types of oil, animal, vegetable and mineral(and I suppose you could add synthetic now). Mineral being of petrochemical origin.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've got a birch wood butchers block that I use as a chopping board, and I use olive oil, mind you if the board is new then it can get expensive as the wood soaks up vast amounts of oil.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Not sure about the origins, but I know the Ikea stuff is recommended for wooden bowls, utensils and chopping boards. I have a bottle....

SKYDD wood treatment oil has been developed for untreated or previously oiled wood products which are used for preparing or serving food.
...white mineral oil....no solvents....totally non-toxic...swallowing a small amount is not dangerous, but it may have a laxative effect.

There we are - even covered the "Abbu Dabi two step!"

:D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, what do you know?

I found a big kitchen block in a skip today. its mildewed but I can resand it.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Tengu said:
Well, what do you know?

I found a big kitchen block in a skip today. its mildewed but I can resand it.
How do you know that a serial killer didn't butcher his victims on it? :yikes: :lmao:

Want some fava beans and a nice chianti with that steak ?! :lmao:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I just use olive oil, always in the kitchen and it dont go rancid either. As for as I know the mineral oil used for food surfaces is just parafin, pure without the addatives found in the lamp oil stuff, more like baby oil I think

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its unlikley, lawrence, there have been no murders in this village for decades.

Its a great find and provided I can restore it, its going on sale.

(yes, I know cutting stuff directly on granite worktops is not right, but Im lazy.)

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Do NOT use mineral oil. In many cases it is toxic. As said it is derived from petro chemicals. Also its a suspected carcinogen, ie it can cause cancer. Mineral oils are used in car engines etc. There have been many cases over the years of engineers with scrotum cancer, suspected cause was oily rags put in the pockets of there overalls.

If you touch it you are not going to die obviously but the exposure is cumulative. I certainly would eat it.

As mentions olive oil is natural and good for you, or so the adverts say :)

Pete

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Did you even read my post? Isn't baby oil mineral oil? I wouldn't use any old oil, but if it says "for food use", I think it would be OK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE