Minecraft?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, BCUK, I was just wondering if any of you play a computer game called Minecraft. It's a game I think would appeal to a lot of woodsmen and women. It's quite popular in the gaming world. I used to be what some would call a "hardcore" gamer, but that hobby fell by the wayside a few years ago. I have, however, continued to play a more casual game called Minecraft. It's casual in the sense that it's has pretty basic survival gameplay, but on the other there is the element of redstone mechanics and contraption building with logic gates. That's what I do on Minecraft, anyway. I've been playing since the Beta phase which started a few years ago. It's surprisingly Bushcraft related... If you play the default game, you'll be in "survival" mode, a game type in which you have to chop down trees in order to build a house so that, at night time, spiders, bats and other such creatures don't get you. You have to mine for different ores and you can craft items using crafting benches and furnaces. You can make whole automated farms. You can use flint and steel to make fire. The game does get a bit stale if you're just playing on survival mode, but there are literally thousands of modifications you can add to the game which make it interesting. It's quite a simple game at first when you're just dealing with the survival aspect, so children can ease into it. It's also got a light and cheerful aesthetic, at least if you don't opt for a darker, more realistic texture pack. I'm not much of a gamer anymore, but the ability to just roam around on a "creative" server and just build whatever I want is great.

This is me standing on a birch log block, and beside that is oak... It really is a nature enthusiast's game.

FwrtirF.png

And it's beautiful in its own way. This is a jungle biome that is randomly generated, meaning the blocks are placed in random order so that whenever you load a "map" it will always look different.

20120309_minecraft_jungle.jpg

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My son plays it. Or did play it. We got the laptop back from the shop after it got stuffed from either a bugged mod or bugged hack or something from a java vunarability. It needed a total clean slate reinstall, windows registery got eaten. Minecraft needs java to work, and java was comprimised over a year ago. He is getting a raspberry pi for chrismas, and there is pi servers. Linex based operating systems are a load less dodgy.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
My little lad loves Minecraft. He's only got the free version. He makes some pretty big buildings and loves showing us around.

He has since dug his own 'mine' about 3' deep in the corner of the garden!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
My son plays it. Or did play it. We got the laptop back from the shop after it got stuffed from either a bugged mod or bugged hack or something from a java vunarability. It needed a total clean slate reinstall, windows registery got eaten. Minecraft needs java to work, and java was comprimised over a year ago. He is getting a raspberry pi for chrismas, and there is pi servers. Linex based operating systems are a load less dodgy.
Good to see another technology enthusiast. I believe outdoor pursuits can coexist with a deep interest in computing.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
"I live to understand the past. "

"I believe outdoor pursuits can coexist with a deep interest in computing"

varied interests you have there matey :) spanning quite a few years i'd guess :) do the 2 work well together ?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
"I live to understand the past. "

"I believe outdoor pursuits can coexist with a deep interest in computing"

varied interests you have there matey :) spanning quite a few years i'd guess :) do the 2 work well together ?
I live in the digital age. The greatest minds of the last few decades devoted their lives to computing, so why wouldn't I be interested in the technology of my time? Flint and steel fire lighting, tanning hides and flint knapping is all primitive technology. When I say I live to understand the past, I don't mean I'm forcing myself to be a luddite... All of us in this digital age should look back to the past, but we shouldn't take for granted our own incredible tools.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Yep, I play PE Version with the kids it gives a basic understanding of resource management and team work that I like.

also have the PC version that I like to play when I have time, if I go "on line multi player" Im normally on damnation. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Square trees, whatever will they think of next. Ill bet your wood pile looks tidy though :D

You may jest but the Forest Research Branch were looking at squarer trees for less wastage in saw mills. They got the idea from some costal trees which due to wind tend to grow in oval/elliptic shapes.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Great fun to be had playing minecraft... Ive been playing it for a few years through the various versions..

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I don't even have a phone, rather spend the money on bushcrafty stuff and borrow my mams :).

Have an Xbox but I got that when I was 7, never gets used, but its good for when someone none bushy visits :)

Can see why it's better for kids than most games and its more interactive than TV, not for me though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE