Min Max Thermometer

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Agreed but a phone is slightly different as you can keep it close to your body for warmth

Exactly, and the phone is coming anyway.

I think im going to do some research on the ibutton as i understand they use them to track freezer temps for goods in transit. You would think we are asking for the holy grail to have a thermometer that works at low temps :D

We are not alone, there's a multitude of threads in the states too asking about this. As an industrial temp data logger, with no battery inside and the simplest electronics possible, these iButtons are going to be as reliable as things can be and taking a few will be very easy.

As Knifefan points out, hopefully the app wont be crap (if it exists) :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
well im getting mixed messages, ive mailed a guy on ebay who reckons they do have an internal battery and as such will run out eventually requiring a new unit given they are sealed. keep you posted. i cant find any reference to using with a mobile yet

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
i cant find any reference to using with a mobile yet

On the homechip website, they talk about a "CSV" format capability for just viewing simple data. I have found a couple of apps that convert those to be read on a mobile phone.

Its a start :eek:

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the things had capacitors instead of batteries.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
well i managed to pick up an ibutton kit on ebay for £5 delivered which is a steal. came with a dallas key and 3 ibuttons. the i buttons are all -10 rated so not ideal but at least they will let me have a play before i order the -40 variant. only downer is the bit that connects to the pc doesnt fit my machine so i have an adapter on order which was only £1.80.

20121129_201850.jpg

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
well i managed to pick up an ibutton kit on ebay for £5 delivered which is a steal. came with a dallas key and 3 ibuttons. the i buttons are all -10 rated so not ideal but at least they will let me have a play before i order the -40 variant. only downer is the bit that connects to the pc doesnt fit my machine so i have an adapter on order which was only £1.80.
[/IMG]

Now dug out my I buttons.... only found 5 of them, I've got to get a USB reader as well mines a serial one like yours, so Have also ordered an adaptor for £1.80 :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Got my adaptor today, got the ibuttons working..... well one of them looks like 4 of them have run out of battery... oh weel looks like i may have to buy a new one some time soon...

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
my new -30 one arrived today, im going to spend tonight in the garden doing some kit testing as we are expecting -3. im hoping ground temp will be nearer -10

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE