Min Max Thermometer

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
As above im after a min max thermometer like this one. Must be able to go pretty low

PNI947.jpg

Got lots of stuff to swap

Aluminum Pill (large)
Peanut Lighters
Sbiners
paracord double zip pull terminators
Fresnel Lenses
Chaga fungus
Fatwood
3w AA Torches

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Paul
I have just bought one of these which has max/min and is wireless requiring 4AAA's in total.
from ebay no. 350467603852
Hope you get your trade.
Alan

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My tool suppliershave them in stock, £7.99. Happy to grab one for ya.

I have one in the greenhouse, the needles are quite delicate and a small movement throws them out.

Couldn't agree more on going analogue. I'd like a smaller one, more of a traditional vacuum tube with sliders to record the min/max that don't move when I sneeze would be ideal.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm looking now for a decent analogue, nothing is looking any better than the dial job above.

I was planning on using a Kestrel anemometer/weather station but that only operates down to -15.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yeah, I'm lost with the iButtons. Being able to read them in the field with an app on a phone seems like the ideal way forward.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
They do indeed. The problem is once a battery gets too about -10 the capacity is reduced to near nothing incredibly quickly. A 2032 cell is only a few hundred mah and im guessing it will perish quickly. still i think ill grab one and shove it in the freezer for a week and see how it goes :)

Thanks for spotting it

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Bluetooth would be great but involves another battery in the bluetooth sender probably and another bit of kit that could potentially break. Hoping I'm missing something obvious here.
I'd like something that plugs into the USB port of the phone and you can just hold the reader near to the iButton sensor to upload the data. (if thats possible :confused:)

I like that :)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Yeah, I'm lost with the iButtons. Being able to read them in the field with an app on a phone seems like the ideal way forward.

They do indeed. The problem is once a battery gets too about -10 the capacity is reduced to near nothing incredibly quickly.
That goes for the battery in your phone too, so I wouldn't count on being able to read it "in the field" at low temperatures :p

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Surely then you will only get a body temp reading!!!!!!!! :) To be honest, phone apps tend to be the most unreliable methods!! More of a "gimic" than a useable tool!!

No i mean you can keep the phone warm until you plug the thermochron in to download the temp history so therefore its not such an issue relying on the phone as a data download store. dont know of any current smart phones that have a thermometer built in

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
There is also this one - mechanical!!! I think the rrp is about £30 quid!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140887091256?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

:)

i think deal extreme do those too from memory, im always wary of thing that have multi functions as none seem to work great. I think im going to do some research on the ibutton as i understand they use them to track freezer temps for goods in transit. You would think we are asking for the holy grail to have a thermometer that works at low temps :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE