Millenium Mongo Flat bow - a beginner's review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Having got a taste for field archery when making an ash selfbow on Forest Knights' bow-making course (excellent by the way), I decided to acquire another bow with a slightly higher draw-weight and fewer delightful eccentricities. Here is the bow I made on Wayne's course along with a few of my home-made arrows:

P1020514.jpg

It still looks the business and draws up and shoots nicely, but I fuss and simper over it and wanted something a bit more conventional and less precious (it terms of blood and sweat invested) for getting on and improving my shooting, and something which I could take along to archery clubs without funny looks. After a bit of looking around, I decided on a bow by Millenium, the Mongo, which is a honey ash laminate, lightly recurved design with leather handle and ambidextrous arrow shelf. See below :

P1020513.jpg

It's been an interesting experience owning and shooting a factory-made bow after having shot only my own self-bow. The Mongo is a nice looker, a pleasing honey colour with natural wood showing on both sides of the limbs under the very discreet layer of glass. The handle is nubuck leather, nicely stitched down the back. The bow is extremely light, draws up very smoothly indeed at 45lbs plus perhaps another 5lbs for my long draw, and shoots hard with no hand shock at all. You really could carry it all day with no fatigue. In comparison with my non-recurved self-bow, the draw weight increases very progressively and I can hold it comfortably at full draw for some time. I also find the slight recurve makes it easier to string and unstring, despite the higher draw weight than my self-bow.

The only slight negative so far is the very narrow arrow shelf, which is I think a bit of a compromise as the bow is both left or right handed and so has a narrow shelf on both sides of the handle. The bow would almost be better with no shelf at all. It takes a bit of skill to keep the arrow on the shelf as it is drawn up, but I am mastering it.

I am just a beginner in this ancient sport, but I am very happy with the choice of bow I have made and I am seeing my groupings steadily improve with practice

Incidentally, the other thing I learned was that it's a rather painful and expensive experience to spend a few hours lovingly fletching and cresting a set of 12 matched arrows only to lose one and break three on my first field shoot ! There are now some cheaper bought aluminum arrows in my quiver for when the occasion demands !

NS

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
No - I used a "donor" cheap plastic quiver from a hunting store in the US, took off straps and fittings, reskinned it in leather and added stitching, decoration and straps. That way the quiver has a very strong base and arrows can't poke through

NS

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Very nice.

I had a good look at Richard's bow, and it looks very traditional and appears to be made purely of wood - in fact I think it has clear glass laminate but it is so well done, it looks like a wood self bow.

It doesn't stack and shoots where you look. Also no hand shock - the modern type of American flatbow like this is very good in this regard - the reflex/deflex design means better cast and no handshock to the extent that it's hard to claim much advantage for a recurve design.

I once considered a Bear Montana but the Mongo looks better, is easier to buy in the UK, and costs a bit less as a result.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
I had one of their bows,it was a very good bow.
I shaved off some of the hairs on the shelf to put a dip in the arrow rest next to the bow, that way the arrow sat in the dip and didn't fall off the shelf......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE