Millbank Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Are millbank bags still around?

I am doing a lot of extended camping and carrying in water is becoming impractical. Especially as camping is next to a lake!

I know these are for sale now:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Millbank-Fi...8&qid=1398278714&sr=8-1&keywords=millbank+bag

No idea of their effectiveness? I would probably prefer the reall Millbank bag.

I plan to boil or sterilise after.

A lot of people on the forum have bought 'bilbank' bags made by bilmo_p5 of this parish and seem very pleased with them :)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I've seen those in the back of the recent mags, says MOD spec so what could be wrong with it really???

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You can still find the genuine issue millbank bags in surplus outlets and auction sites, and they occasionally pop up here on BCUK.

They're just a close-weave fabric, and the fibres swell when wet so they make a fine filter - so you could make your own with the right sort of materials.

If there's a risk of toxins or other biological hazards I wouldn't risk it without boiling as well, and in that case unless the water is very dirty to start with filtering is almost cosmetic. Don't forget that these bags were issued to soldiers who often had no choice about their water supply.

If you're going to boil the water from a lake you probably won't need to filter unless it's an unusually dirty lake. If you find a fish in the bottle, think of it as a bonus. :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Bilmos are fantastic, he's a top bloke too! :)

I'm sure there was another thread I just commented on, or am I nuts?

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Bilmos the guy to ask.... had mine arrive the next day and cant fault the quality of them. (and cheaper than the amazon linked one)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Description seems to say they're coming from the same manufacturer.

Which I believe would be Fine Group, http://www.hfine.co.uk/. Guess they to asked to make them using the military spec so should be just as good as the issued ones were.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I have the brown bag and get on with it well.. Just as slow as the MOD issue, but a better colour! I'd see millbanks as more of a long term water system as they take a while just for one quick brew on the go, but if you're going to be out for several days or the water is very dirty, the millbank is well worth taking... All the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE