Military Trangia ~ Falcon Mess kit review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
“A Genuine Trangia military burner”
(& by that I mean not a trangia civvi burner & not an army Svea)
The Trangia Triangle & the Falcon Enamel Billy.

Boil Times & quantities given here are not scientific and are meant only as a rough guide for the purpose of the review.

Lighting the burner I placing the Billy over the flame immediately not waiting for the burner to bloom, with the Billy filled up to the line, a little over 1½ Pints, (900ml) @ 4 minutes in, the burner bloomed & A rolling boil was achieved in just 20 minutes.

Using 35 ml’s of B&Q Bio~ethanol, the pot did not soot up & had only a tiny deposit of beige coloured patina on the bottom, the paper barcode label on the bottom of the Billy which I had forgotten to remove was still perfectly intact & barely even scorched not really relevant, but I think worth a mention.

After 20 minutes the entire Billy was too hot to handle with bare hands & although the cup/lid on top was a little cooler it too was too hot to handle...

The wire bail which is very thin, soft & pliable had pinged off after around 10 minutes & was very hot, once it had cooled a little It was easily put back in place it may need a more secure way of attaching, I think also a modification of some kind maybe required. Possibly the addition of a wooden bead threaded onto the bail.

In conclusion: ~ This seems to be an excellent cook combo. It has good weight to capacity ratio, it’s pretty robust & The base of the Billy is not flat it has a sort of stepped dimple, which allows for a perfect mirage between stove & pot creating a very stable fit & set up.

At 20 minutes, a slow burn yes, But using 35mls of Bio~ethanol to boil 1½ pints,

Over all I am pleased with this Mess kit.

Edit:~ apologies I made an error in calculating the amount of fuel used 35mls not 10mls I have corrected now!

How this happened I initially filled the burner with a little 25mls measuring cup & miss counted 3 cups making 75ml when infact I had used 4 cups = 100ml ext 25 mls and as I had recovered 65ml at the end of boil etc etc

Last edited:

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Did you use a wind shield/stand..I'm a sucker for pictures but 20mins for boiling water. Seems a lifetime! I use a trangia burner in a trangia triangle and a GSI glacier mug for one person brewing. A stanley adventure pot for 2 or when more space needed.

Gota love those little stoves.

Sounds good mate!

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Hi Steve.... pictures to follow..... 20 mins for just short of 1ltr right enough but just 10mls of fuel used Naaaa????? Doh! that sounds too good to be right.. I have came to the conclusion that I must have made a massive error in calculating fuel used... so suspecting how I had made such an error... I did the test again & as I suspected 25mls short so 35 not 10

How this happened? I initially filled the burner with a little 25mls measuring cup & miscounted 3 cups making 75ml when infact I had actualy used 4 cups = 100ml an extra 25 mls and as I had recovered 65ml at the end of boil etc etc

so I had actually used 35ml & not 10 Doh!... will correct op now...

and just a standard triangle with a military burner...

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
The army burners are too big and take too long to 'bloom'...20 minutes is a long time.

I don't normally wait for the bloom & am not usually in a hurry so 35mls fuel to boil 1litre water in 20 mins that's the falcon Billy trangia combo... MMMM not the best eigh??? maybe even a bit crap then? looks good though.

I still favour the swedish army aluminium mess kit with the military burner I have never had issues with slow boil times on that & I have cooked a large variety of stuff on it so still my kit of choice....

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I'm a sucker for pictures

Gota love those little stoves.
pictures as requested..

https://flic.kr/p/AsZ2Fx
Military Trangia Falcon mess kit

Falcon Billy weighing in at 375g

https://flic.kr/p/A7KvsM

Military Trangia burner in Trangia triangle & Simmer ring/snufferouter

For anybody that's weight conscious It's 648g total kit (that's billy, burner, trangia triangle & tatonka simmer ring...)

Tatonka flame adjuster £7.99 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321086094252?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Alan 13-7,

That's a neat little set up.

Out of interest is the burn time-to-amount of H20 proportional? i.e. would 300ml boil in 6+minutes?

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Love the trangia triangle. I have used it to build small contained fires within or as a stove top / chimney for a small Dakota fire pit. Let's you easily cook on top of if. Very versatile and light.

fba53debd6a4806386d8c6062f7a2ec7.jpg

All packs into the stanley cook pot. Tend not to take the green mug. Only if my missus is with me. Otherwise just the GSI glacier.

I really don't need any more stuff...but they are nice little sets. ....maybe for the car...or shed. Or loft...lol

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Aye Up Alan 13-7,

Out of interest is the burn time-to-amount of H20 proportional? i.e. would 300ml boil in 6+minutes?

hi jaeger Good point well put... I really don't know, is that how it works then? 20 minutes does sound a bit pants but when you put it like (300ml boil in 6+minutes?) it does sound better... I will do a test burn tomorrow. I was wondering if the 1/4" drop putting the pot closer to the burner was enough to make any significant difference?

I do like the way it looks too.. But I don't know if it's an option yet, I haven't made up my mind, I do still like my army ally mess kit, Big shoes to fill...

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Love the trangia triangle.

Hi Steve I've Had the triangle for ages now... not used it much, but starting to get to know it, I use the military burner because it makes the burner support ring obsolete (one less part) & also to extend burner capacity/burn time...

Some say "The army burners are too big and take too long to 'bloom'" (Rik) not so I find This point is moot AS you can prime them first, they "bloom" in seconds... I never do this as I find there is no real need to waste fuel waiting for a bloom. Light the burner put the pot on immediately & it will bloom pretty fast anyway...

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Aye Up Alan 13-7,

The answer is YES Jaeger 15mls fuel boils 300ml water in 6 1/2 minutes

WARNING! Don't put the falcon Billy in the dishwasher, they shrink & the bail falls off...

22643441119_12d82aaf14_m.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE