military bergan vs non-military rucksack

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I use my issue bergan all the time and don't have any real problems with it, i often walk long distances and only suffer if iv'e not been carefull of how iv'e packed it, but i'm sure it's the same with any other bag, one point though if you do look or a mil bag try and ind a long back bergan, there used to be a lot of hyp in mil circles about trying to get a short back bergan the benifit being that it sat higher on your back almost resting on your shoulders witch ment it cleared your webbing and didn't push the pouches into your skin, and if you had to go prone with it on you could still lift your head without your helmet getting wedged, also with a long back the hip belt is in the proper position to give you the right support. having a dpm bag isn't that bad as you can always cover it with a water proof cover in any pattern.

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
Over the years I've tried most bergans going, I must agree with rob adams, Berghaus has always come up best !
Lowe Alpine- over complicated back system, heavy (i had a 100ltr +), cheaper than most, very hot back !!! sold it after half a year.
Plce, not very well made, comfortable up to 15-18lbs, boring dpm colours.
Karrimor Sabre's gets close to the berghaus, but i didn't like the fussy design with too many loops etc, and expensive.
Alice pack, now you either love these or hate them, I love them, get a large pack model and keep the frame with it. They are heavy,old fashioned but robust and simple- just what you need- also you can carry large heavy objects on the frame if needed.logs etc.

Then my personel choice is the Vulcan, I estimate that iv'e walked over 1500 miles with it, usually a third to a half full, I never got bergan burns on my back, it has never droped a stitch, it has been thrown on trains, planes and boats, i've used it in Norway at -30 and the following year in Morroco in +45 degrees. I wash it now and then with gear proof and it comes up like new, pretty waterproof, and og rather than dpm.
Probably the last pack I will buy.

So for a night out- either a 40 litre Berghaus aniversary cyclops (blue) or an Alice pack or my old alpine jobby.(BB's highland pack ???)
extended journeys or cold weather trips the Vulcan every time.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Personally i like the PLCE longback. I've had a few and yomped with them. Carry alot of kit if you're using public transport to meets etc. BUT they draw alot of attention, especially in our current climate.

Karrimor Sabre series, i've had the 45 and 60-100 and hated the 60-100 (old version without side pocket zips) but the 45 with side pockets did well for a 4 day camp and without pockets for a long distance hike. But they are heavy.

Civvie packs i've had are the TOG 24 55 rucksack which has held out ok so far, and a few of the cheap and nasty ones which lasted one trip.

Highlander Forces Rucks are good, robust and cheap. One of my tests of rucksacks is to chuck it off the Wain stones on the North York Moors and pull it up using a rope. If it stands that then i'm happy with it and the Highlanders, PLCE and Sabres survived.

However, the best rucksack i've ever had and unfortunately had to let go so i could pay for a custom knife from Bernie Garland, is the Berghaus Vulcan. Fantastic piece of kit even if the zips were upside down.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You really cannot beat that. I often use a hip pad that slips into the bergan back on the outside to make it comfier. A lot of folk say big =bag. I diasagree, big just gives you the optioon of taking more if we need to. Most bushcrafters I kow are total gear freaks and love their toy's, absolutley nothing wrong with that at all, but when you go to play in the wilds you often need the space for these especially when it's for a few days or more.

For example, my sleeping bag will take up half the size of an issue bergan (I have a bulky homemmade liner), it's nort heavy just bulky, which only leaves two side pockets and some space in the bergan for everything else which is not a lot of space once you add spare clothes, cooking kit, billhook, saw, knfe, FAK, bivi kit etc...

Now I never walk huge distances anymore, but I'd rather have the option of walking a 3 mile trip from car to bivi site once with all my gear rather than twice...

So my advice would be decide what you intend to carry the most often and use that as your guide.

Much how I feel too (although I'm not a back packer these days), the Bergen is very well made and the colour is fine, I've got an OG and a DPM I don't mind the cammo at all. Your spot on about the sleeping bag space, my winter bag half fills the Bergen. I've been at many a meet and seen people with 40-65 litre packs and yes they work, full to bursting and often, have gear strapped all over them so why not just use a tidier pack in the first place? I've seen all sorts stapped on or even hanging off packs, things like Kelly Kettles and billy cans:rolleyes:

My 35 litre pack is perfect for day trips though;)

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
i use an PLCE inf bergan, i have carried heavy loads (120 lbs) over long distances and have not surffered from the bergan (only the weight ;) ). My kit is fairly light now and would agree a non down winter bag and bivy take up slighy over half the bag. day sack wise, i ordered a Karimor Hot earth but they changed the name and delivery a Sabre 30 instead over 10 years ago; it been through the ringer and still going strong.

IMG_0209.jpg

Had to replace a buckle this week, ready for another 10 years faithfull service

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve tried a few different packs in the last few years and I`m finally happy with my current one. I had a short back PLCE which was good but uncomfortable when fully loaded. Masses of room but it wasn`t the one for me. I then tried a Vulcan in size 3, which at 5' 10 I should have been okay. But I found it sat too low on my hips and gave me a bit of discomfort after a short while. Again a huge pack and a nice bit of padding in the back but this was also quite sweaty with poor ventilation. I then had a Snugpak Rocket pack for a few days but then sent it back, I didn`t know at the time it was supposed to sit so high above a webbing rig.
I`ve now got a Sabre 75L after trying one out for a weekend, and it`s the most comfortable pack I`ve ever used. It`s got too many straps and buckles in my opinion but they can always be removed. Along with the side pockets it`s plenty big enough for any of my trips.
It`s got a superb back system and the overall quality I think is worth the hefty price.

Just my thoughts as everyone has their own opinions.

Try and get down to a shop and try them on fully loaded if yuo can.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
As a mere civvy, I've never tried an issue pack but I have tried the Berghaus and Lowe Alpine ones made for the military. I suppose it comes down to strength in the long run. Packs used by the services are going to be put under a huge amount more wear and tear than your average civilian ones and therefore have to be built with that in mind. Making them straightforward to use and 'squaddie-proof' is essential; making them reasonable enough for a soldier to consider buying one is another consideration. Because of the built-in strength, light weight is compromised but with light weight gear, durability is always compromised. Thrashing around in the woods and the wilds as we do as bushcrafters, I reckon I'd rather have a slightly heavier pack on that I know is going to last the course.

Of the two that I've tried, I rate the Berghaus Vulcan higher than the Lowe Alpine - but only just. They are both well-made and comfortable - the Berghaus tipping the scales on the latter.

I am conscious of the endless debate about looking like a frustrated commando when carrying it but, if it does what I want it to and blends in inoffensively with my surroundings, who cares?

There are other packs out there that will do the job and probably more comfortably but, in my opinion, the military-style packs tick the boxes for me.

Just a few thoughts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE