Mil-Tec Flecktarn Plane Tarp - First impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have a web tex poncho, it was pretty pants and never really used it in a camping context but to line the car with of for the kids to play with it was ok - really would want to sleep properly under it...

That tarp looks ok, and a cracking review, even though I don't need it [and can't afford it anyway] I was considering a purchase just on the merits of your review...

for my ridge line I put it up as taught as I can, then I use mini-crabs for my tarp through the loops to the ridge line with the two end ones going onto prussic's. It has the movable ability and can get a tight tension with the end prussic's

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Quick update (I'm off walk about currently):

The tarp has held up in some pretty heavy cloud bursts, no issues. If it's windy, you want to rely more on the webbing loops than the metal eyelets, as the webbing loops are reinforced. Other than that, I'm very pleased with it, would recommend.

J

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Quixoticgeek

Nice post with useful info.
Keeping low profile is of major interest to me whilst I’m out and about and that usually doesn’t mean using camo but after recently seeing an image posted of someone using a Danish M84 pattern basher I chased some material down and made one myself one for the summer months (images in my 04-09-15 post re single hooped bivvies).
The beauty of both the M84 and the German pattern that you have posted is that because the material is thin it allows a certain amount of light through from the outside which diminishes internal shadow (which can draw the eye to it) and also shows out the camo pattern internally, effectively making the set up appear to be ‘see through’ (if pitched against the correct background as most of your images show) as opposed to being ‘blocky’ which a thicker and especially plain coloured material tends to do. The M84 lends itself well to concealment with green season foliage and can be ground pitched or set at a higher level just about where low growing tree foliage begins – your German version will undoubtedly work during the brown season. And you are right to suspect that unless people are specifically looking for it, it will be very unlikely to catch the eye, the M84 has done this several times for me.
Re Mil-tec C&E, I have been using it for years (usually mod-ing it), some of it has been extremely hard wearing other not so but always worth a punt. Re the ASMC site I’ve used them too – incidentally the ‘Action Shot’ which they have posted for the more expensive 630g version (89 Euros!) which I think is the one bert333 is refering to has the accompanying comment from the buyer “waterproof but thin” - I wonder if they've got them mixed up? I may just invest in your item for a C&E experiment I have in mind. Thanks for posting.:)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Aye Up Quixoticgeek

Nice post with useful info.
Keeping low profile is of major interest to me whilst I’m out and about and that usually doesn’t mean using camo but after recently seeing an image posted of someone using a Danish M84 pattern basher I chased some material down and made one myself one for the summer months (images in my 04-09-15 post re single hooped bivvies).

Aye, a lot of it is not about being hidden to those who are trying to see you, but in being invisible to those who just walk past. Last night I camped in a stand of tree's maybe 10m away from a path, and aside from some unwanted animal interactions (more on that in another post), it seems everyone walked past without noticing. I didn't use a tarp, I'm in Spain so there risk of rain was very low. Where did you get the M84 from? M84 is a nice pattern for the summer months, as you point out. Tho the flecktarn is more suited to pine forest and the like.

The beauty of both the M84 and the German pattern that you have posted is that because the material is thin it allows a certain amount of light through from the outside which diminishes internal shadow (which can draw the eye to it) and also shows out the camo pattern internally, effectively making the set up appear to be ‘see through’ (if pitched against the correct background as most of your images show) as opposed to being ‘blocky’ which a thicker and especially plain coloured material tends to do. The M84 lends itself well to concealment with green season foliage and can be ground pitched or set at a higher level just about where low growing tree foliage begins – your German version will undoubtedly work during the brown season. And you are right to suspect that unless people are specifically looking for it, it will be very unlikely to catch the eye, the M84 has done this several times for me.

I hadn't thought about it like that, good points. One thing I have noticed is that the main give away is the straight ridge line. Whilst you tend to want a nice taught pitch, which of course produces a straight line, measures can be taken to obfuscate it, namely the use of local foliage... I don't tend to bother going to that extreme tho. Pitch up sensibly, and be polite to anyone who discovers you... even if that is a wild boar... at 3am... in the dark... in Spain... But I digress...

Re Mil-tec C&E, I have been using it for years (usually mod-ing it), some of it has been extremely hard wearing other not so but always worth a punt. Re the ASMC site I’ve used them too – incidentally the ‘Action Shot’ which they have posted for the more expensive 630g version (89 Euros!) which I think is the one bert333 is refering to has the accompanying comment from the buyer “waterproof but thin” - I wonder if they've got them mixed up? I may just invest in your item for a C&E experiment I have in mind. Thanks for posting.:)

Do note I haven't actually sealed the seams on my tarp. It took quite a down pour on a trip out with the Kent group, with no obvious leaking, so whilst perhaps it could do with it, I've not done it yet... One day...

HTH

J

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Quixoticgeek,

Spain eh? - nice.

Took me a while to seek out the receipt for the m84 material.

I take your point re passing obs - I have to cater for both that and those who are purposely looking!
Re the M84 - it was made primarily for Danish countryside and pine woodland features strongly in that (there is a whole conversation to be had about an individual country's choice of cam pattern). I am fortunate to have access to a mixture of pine, birch, larch and UK deciduous woodland and so get the opportunity to trial all manner of C&E against different terrain. The M84 wins hands down - set both high, medium and low during the green season but shows out like a sore thumb in the brown (and in the larch section until fern develops).
Re the ridge-line 'show-out' - you are quite correct - just as I mentioned about shadow - 'a straight line draws the eye' too! If you are of a mind to - you can pitch a basher to limit the straight lines effect using existing features to obscure/blend them without going to the extent of importing additional natural cam - but I am digressing into C&C territory now! :)

I had the material from www.profabrics.co.uk - just checked and they are still selling the material @ £3.90 +vat/metre x 1.8m I ordered 4 metres to make a 2.6x1.8 metre tarp. The material is a slight second but the issue is right at the edges and not a problem. I sourced the webbing straps for set-up loops from army surplus stores. I created the join along the ridge-line by way of a double overlapped seam also trapping a 2.8 metre length of 20mm webbing in between and machine sewed it all together meaning that I can tension the ridge as tight as I like without overstressing the actual basher sheet itself.
I seam sealed it with several different brands inside and out. It has taken some of this summer's heaviest downpours with no leeks at all. :)
I just need ASMC to restock with your basher now.
M84ex.jpg m84(iii).jpg

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi, quick up date 12.01. 2016 for anyone who's in the market for the Mil-Tec Flecktarn tarp, I just ordered one on Amazon for £21.45 with free UK delivery from the same address in the post above, a bargain if it's the real McCoy, it should arrive around the 16th, if all's good, Ill let everyone know.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Probably best to ignore the above link for [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]CamoOutdoor - The Sports & Camouflage Outfitters on Amazon, as yet I still have received nothing and long over due, Ordered on the 12th Jan with an expected date of 4th Feb at the latest :-( ... not good , anyone know how I clam my money back on Amazon? [/FONT]

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Probably best to ignore the above link for [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]CamoOutdoor - The Sports & Camouflage Outfitters on Amazon, as yet I still have received nothing and long over due, Ordered on the 12th Jan with an expected date of 4th Feb at the latest :-( ... not good , anyone know how I clam my money back on Amazon? [/FONT]

You won't get your money back from Amazon themselves for a late delivery unless your order was sent out directly from them unfortunately. However, you can file a claim just like on ebay, go to "Your Orders", find the tarp and click on File/View Claim and follow the instructions. If the seller is being unreasonable then Amazon can compensate you the money and they pursue the sellers themselves. Good system really.

Tonyuk

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
I'm Spartacus.......................................Sorry I could not resist it. I ordered on 12 Dec with a 5th Feb arrival date. Guess what? I am still waiting. I contacted the company via Amazon two days ago and have not had a reply.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
You won't get your money back from Amazon themselves for a late delivery unless your order was sent out directly from them unfortunately. However, you can file a claim just like on ebay, go to "Your Orders", find the tarp and click on File/View Claim and follow the instructions. If the seller is being unreasonable then Amazon can compensate you the money and they pursue the sellers themselves. Good system really.

Tonyuk
Hi Tonyuk
I just went through the claim form on Amazon, not to difficult even for a computer numpty like me, as you said looks like a good system.
I still want a Flecktarn tarp, I just hope we all get our cash back to have another go, anyhoo cheers for the help and info Bro.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
IT'S ARRIVED! Blimey it's light and packs down very small indeed... I reckon I could get it and the stuff sack into a coke tin if I put a little effort into it. Maybe it pays to be a "squeaky wheel" once in a while, who knows?

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
WAHAY :) So there's hope for me and Spartacus ;-) yet, I feel bad for having a go at them now, then again steve27752 been waiting since the 12th Dec, and that's way to long, anyhoo hope the tarp works out for you Adze.
PS
hows the camo look?

Feb 16, 2016
Aberystwyth
Hi Guys

This is just a random courtesy email really, i found this page by accident while looking for reviews on the Tarps.

Basically, I work for a company called Epic Militaria, we sell on Amazon and CamoOutdoor were a major competitor to us, (Tony removed this information as not so relevant to the thread but this information left is very relevant) Camo Outdoor have now been taken off Amazon for good, so if anyone is still awaiting tarps or refunds, go direct to Amazon, place an A to Z claim

TL;DR Camo Outdoor were fraudster Amazon Sellers and have now been taken off Amazon for good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
I have just had a full refund from CamoOutdoor - The Sports & Camouflage Outfitters on Amazon (I did not request a refund).
So, I will not be getting my tarp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE