Midlands outdoorshow Meet March 2009

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Booked time off from 21 - 30 March so available to assist in pre-set up if required.

(It also might take me that long to set up my hammock and tarp for the first time :lmao: :lmao: )

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Booked time off from 21 - 30 March so available to assist in pre-set up if required....

Pre-set up?? :lmao: Other than fetching wood and water it's not something we tend to do much of. On the other hand, clear up at the end ... :D

... (It also might take me that long to set up my hammock and tarp for the first time :lmao: :lmao: )

There should be plenty of people around to give advice. As with all set ups it's a case of more haste, less speed. Get it up, check it out by lying in it (hammock ties may stretch a bit on each first hanging), adjust if necessary, check again and so on - and don't worry about how long it takes to get it right; get it right and you should get a great nights kip.

The disadvantage of hammocks is that you radiate heat away in all directions, it would be to your advantage to bring an extra insulator with you (kip mat, wool blanket etc). Depending on what you bring, this can either between (or in) your bag and the hammock or slung (and tied) round the outside of the hammock. My heavy option is a reindeer skin between bag and hammock, my light option is a partially inflated thermarest inside my bag - sticking it in the bag means that it stays in place when I turn over :D .

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Pre-set up?? :lmao: Other than fetching wood and water it's not something we tend to do much of. On the other hand, clear up at the end ... :D

There should be plenty of people around to give advice. As with all set ups it's a case of more haste, less speed. Get it up, check it out by lying in it (hammock ties may stretch a bit on each first hanging), adjust if necessary, check again and so on - and don't worry about how long it takes to get it right; get it right and you should get a great nights kip.

The disadvantage of hammocks is that you radiate heat away in all directions, it would be to your advantage to bring an extra insulator with you (kip mat, wool blanket etc). Depending on what you bring, this can either between (or in) your bag and the hammock or slung (and tied) round the outside of the hammock. My heavy option is a reindeer skin between bag and hammock, my light option is a partially inflated thermarest inside my bag - sticking it in the bag means that it stays in place when I turn over :D .

Well I can fetch and carry, and clear up at the end no problem:rolleyes:

I have the DD Tarp and Hammock and a Thermarest so I think I am set. I will still probably be asking for help and rewarding with liquid refreshment:D

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ask away. Ive a DD Hammock, and nomally use a thermarest and sleeping bag, but this time im taking the cocoon to try out. And its ale for me! :)

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Gutted.....:( not going to be able to make this due to family commitments. Sorry guys, hope you have a good time I've removed myself from the list.

Addo
Alpha_centaur + 2-4 - will know nearer the date
Andy2112+ Snarf + Gaz (hopefully he'll come this time but don't hold ya breath)
Aragorn - will know nearer the date
Bodge
Davey569 +1 - will know nearer the date
drewdunnrespect
decorum
EEM +1
Humpback
JimN
John Fenna - will know nearer the date
Luke_s
Lurch
MartinK9
Mesquite
Mick Miller
nigeltm + 2
PJ McBear
Sasquatch
T1TCH
Trail Runner +1
Wallenstein
wanderinstar
woodstock
WoodWildling

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Bad luck Bob.... it's so annoying when these things impinge upon our play time :)

I'm sure there'll be loads of pics to show what you and the others missed out on :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I was on site today and due to an unforeseen circumstance I had to stay a while and have a play.
These are some of the pics ...

Hmm, not grass ...

IMGP0179.jpg

Still no grass ...

IMGP0180.jpg

Our usual communal area is still very manky - which is why I've agreed with the site to leave this area alone so that it can recover a bit.

IMGP0183.jpg

No grass here. The green shoots are bluebells - there could be a carpet of blue during the Meet :cool: .

IMGP0186.jpg

The next three aren't on PC11 - The site does have grass, honest :p .

IMGP0191.jpg

Find the woodland art ...

IMGP0195.jpg

Still no grass :D

IMGP0200.jpg

Manky path!

IMGP0237.jpg

Back on PC11 - still no grass :eek:

IMGP0241.jpg

Gratuitous brew pic. Honey Stove and meths.

IMGP0218.jpg

Second gratuitous brew pic. Using a Honey Stove as a wood burner.

IMGP0250.jpg

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
Is it alright to put my name down, been tempted over the last couple of weeks. Should be able to get down straight from work, hope this is ok. Not sure if I'm going to the outdoors show yet. Looks like a great site! :)

Addo
Alpha_centaur + 2-4 - will know nearer the date
Andy2112+ Snarf + Gaz (hopefully he'll come this time but don't hold ya breath)
Aragorn - will know nearer the date
Bodge
Davey569 +1 - will know nearer the date
drewdunnrespect
decorum
EEM +1
Humpback
JimN
John Fenna - will know nearer the date
Luke_s
Lurch
MartinK9
Mesquite
Mick Miller
nigeltm + 2
PJ McBear
porchini
Sasquatch
T1TCH
Trail Runner +1
Wallenstein
wanderinstar
woodstock
WoodWildling

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
In the past few weeks a few names have been omitted or someone coming hasn't added themselves, so here's a modified (and tidied) Meet List:

Addo
Alpha_centaur + 2 - 4
Andy2112 + 2
Bodge
Davey569 +1
decorum
drewdunnrespect
EEM +1
Dr Jones
Humpback
In Wood
Jaysurfer
JimN
John Fenna
Luke_s
Lurch
MartinK9
Mesquite
Naboo_the_enigma
nigeltm + 2
PJ McBear
porchini
Sasquatch
scrumpy and scrumpy jnr
T1TCH
Trail Runner +1
Wallenstein
wanderinstar
woodstock
WoodWildling

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE