Mid range bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
To clarify I don't strictly speaking mean to buy or use full time. More as a price for price value for money comparison. To see if there is such a difference between a £5 knife and a £500 knife

It really depends on the £5 knife you are using as your comparison example. Most knives in that price bracket are junk, although Mora and Hultafors (plus 1 or 2 other maybe) seem to be able to make very good blades at that price point. A lot of folks don't get Mora (or the equivalent) at all, maybe it's the plastic sheaths or the fact they aren't full tang. Again this comes down to perception and what you need from the tool. I don't own a Mora (yet although I will be getting one in the future), I'm about to get a Hultafors GK for Fathers day from my son. It was a toss up between the GK and a Mora HD Companion. I went for the Hultafors GK as you can use it with a ferro rod straight from the box (sharp edged spine), and it's half the price of the Mora equivalent, without being half the knife. I will most likely replace the sheath with something that has a better means of attachment to a belt, and have the ability to mount a ferro rod. A more expensive knife would likely already have this.

What you are likely to get from a knife in the £30-50 range is a more refined blade with perhaps a full tang, better handle, better/more functional sheath. It will still be mass produced and there are still a lots of over priced garbage as well in that bracket. However there are some very expensive, hand made blades with wonderfully intricate leather work sheaths out there that have poor heat treatment and suffer poor edge retention as a result.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It really depends on the £5 knife you are using as your comparison example. Most knives in that price bracket are junk, although Mora and Hultafors (plus 1 or 2 other maybe) seem to be able to make very good blades at that price point. A lot of folks don't get Mora (or the equivalent) at all, maybe it's the plastic sheaths or the fact they aren't full tang. Again this comes down to perception and what you need from the tool. I don't own a Mora (yet although I will be getting one in the future), I'm about to get a Hultafors GK for Fathers day from my son. It was a toss up between the GK and a Mora HD Companion. I went for the Hultafors GK as you can use it with a ferro rod straight from the box (sharp edged spine), and it's half the price of the Mora equivalent, without being half the knife. I will most likely replace the sheath with something that has a better means of attachment to a belt, and have the ability to mount a ferro rod. A more expensive knife would likely already have this.

What you are likely to get from a knife in the £30-50 range is a more refined blade with perhaps a full tang, better handle, better/more functional sheath. It will still be mass produced and there are still a lots of over priced garbage as well in that bracket. However there are some very expensive, hand made blades with wonderfully intricate leather work sheaths out there that have poor heat treatment and suffer poor edge retention as a result.
Oh couldn't agree more. I very highly rate mora and hultafors. And as you said there's some garbage out there no matter what the price bracket. I've owned ALOT of knives and price isn't strictly a good guide but I think it might be interesting to compare some good knives in every bracket :)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
If you fancy splashing the cash, have you seen the Mora Garberg? Full tang Mora blade.
I have actually! I was curious about those. I might have one to be fair although utll have to do something special to replace old rusty haha

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Another for the enzo trapper and can be quite a bit cheaper if you buy in kit form and handle it yourself.

Also Esee are worth a look. They really know how to make a top quality blade out of 1095.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Just had another thought what about the Varusteleka Jaarkari Pukko?

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-110-w-leather-sheath/33531

This ^, should be back in stock shortly. Bang for bucks it hard to beat. I'll be getting a couple for spares or share. I have the 140, which is my get down and dirty work knife. I have plenty of high end knives, and a few Moras too; but these are really good for bushcrafty work. Frankly they put a whole lot of far more expensive knives to shame.

Get a Skrama too; thinking man's golok.

Wihglah

Apr 23, 2017
Northamptonshire
If you can manage to mix 24 hour epoxy, I recommend an Elmax Enzo trapper 95 kit. I paid £70 for the blade and handle scale material. Bark River style handle, with a supersteel blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE